Starter Issue - No Crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
'84 Monte Carlo SS...

My starter isn't cranking when I put the ignition switch in the crank position... It's how I start my car until I can afford another steering column.

I also have a bump starter button under the hood that isn't cranking the engine over... I used this to start my engine for months.

Only time I can get it to crank over and start the engine is if I jump it using a screwdriver, with the ignition switch in the on position.

I know it isn't the ignition switch because I have two of them, and 1 is brand new...same results with both.

The purple solenoid wire is getting power to it.

Used to start up just fine, until I over flooded the engine in the middle of traffic and continually kept trying to crank over the engine. My last attempt during that time, the starter continued to crank itself over on it's own for a good 30-45 seconds after I put the ignition switch back in the "OFF" position..

Had it towed home and replaced the oil and got the flooding to quit and carburetor under control...

Went to start it using the ignition switch and nothing happened...

Went to start it with the bump starter and nothing happened...

Jumped it with a screwdriver and it fired right up, but not with the bump starter or the ignition switch.

I don't trust to keep starting the engine like this as the starter may give out on me anywhere leaving me stuck and require another costly tow I can't afford...

My starter is good for a free replacement under warranty, and I'm thinking the solenoid gave out on it causing the issue I'm having now.

Anyone else think the same thing ?

Any other suggestions are considered. Thanks in advance.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Can I replace the fusible link wire with this ? Just cut off the end and replace it with this ?
Screenshot_20220107-154025_Chrome.jpg

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
This is my only and daily driver and I absolutely need to have this up and running by tomorrow evening and the next few weeks.

I just had a daughter 3 days ago, her mother gets discharged tomorrow and my daughter is in the NICU which requires us to go back and forth to the hospital 8 times a day to feed and visit her until she is released from NICU and ready to come home.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Purple wire should have 12v in crank position. If it doesn't, there could be a hundred different reasons. Your wiring is pretty scary.

Based on your various posts over the last few months, this may be a poor choice for an only car.

Reactions: 2 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Purple wire should have 12v in crank position. If it doesn't, there could be a hundred different reasons. Your wiring is pretty scary.

Based on your various posts over the last few months, this may be a poor choice for an only car.
Yea the wiring came like that, I didn't notice things under the dash until I took the bottom of the dash apart.

I get power through out the car, just not to the starter. How long can I keep jumping the starter before it's toasted ? Looks to be my only option to drive it...🤷🏾‍♂

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
It appears you are trying to run the whole electrical system off one of the fusible links, you needed both. Best way out of this is get a 10Ga wire with a fuse holder and power the switch panel direct from the battery. Start with a 30 amp fuse if that blows use a 40.

If it has cruise control you can run the wire through that grommet it is under the bottom of the brake booster.

If it jumps with a screwdriver you do not need a solenoid.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=10+gauge+inline+fuse&ref=nb_sb_noss

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
How long can you keep jumping it? You can probably just keep jamming a screwdriver in there as long as you want. Why don't you just fix the column/switch/wiring the right way and be done with it? Adding push buttons and toggle switches and using speaker wire is only complicating the problem and making your car even less reliable. Quit bypassing sh*t, get a wiring diagram, and fix the problem.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Best way out of this is get a 10Ga wire with a fuse holder and power the switch panel direct from the battery.
Replace and run a new purple wire with an inline fuse, and run it from the battery to the ignition switch or fuse panel ?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
If you are running the switch panel you added use the 10 Ga to power that, if you are using the original ignition switch split the power from the 10Ga to the two red 12 Ga power feed wires on the ignition switch connectors.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
How long can you keep jumping it? You can probably just keep jamming a screwdriver in there as long as you want. Why don't you just fix the column/switch/wiring the right way and be done with it? Adding push buttons and toggle switches and using speaker wire is only complicating the problem and making your car even less reliable. Quit bypassing sh*t, get a wiring diagram, and fix the problem.
While I agree, fixing it proper is the way to go, he did just communicate he has a newborn in NICU so I'm betting disposable income to 'fix it correctly' is spoken for from higher priorities.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor