Starter Issue - No Crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
'84 Monte Carlo SS...

My starter isn't cranking when I put the ignition switch in the crank position... It's how I start my car until I can afford another steering column.

I also have a bump starter button under the hood that isn't cranking the engine over... I used this to start my engine for months.

Only time I can get it to crank over and start the engine is if I jump it using a screwdriver, with the ignition switch in the on position.

I know it isn't the ignition switch because I have two of them, and 1 is brand new...same results with both.

The purple solenoid wire is getting power to it.

Used to start up just fine, until I over flooded the engine in the middle of traffic and continually kept trying to crank over the engine. My last attempt during that time, the starter continued to crank itself over on it's own for a good 30-45 seconds after I put the ignition switch back in the "OFF" position..

Had it towed home and replaced the oil and got the flooding to quit and carburetor under control...

Went to start it using the ignition switch and nothing happened...

Went to start it with the bump starter and nothing happened...

Jumped it with a screwdriver and it fired right up, but not with the bump starter or the ignition switch.

I don't trust to keep starting the engine like this as the starter may give out on me anywhere leaving me stuck and require another costly tow I can't afford...

My starter is good for a free replacement under warranty, and I'm thinking the solenoid gave out on it causing the issue I'm having now.

Anyone else think the same thing ?

Any other suggestions are considered. Thanks in advance.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
How long can you keep jumping it? You can probably just keep jamming a screwdriver in there as long as you want. Why don't you just fix the column/switch/wiring the right way and be done with it? Adding push buttons and toggle switches and using speaker wire is only complicating the problem and making your car even less reliable. Quit bypassing sh*t, get a wiring diagram, and fix the problem.
I want to fix the problem and I'm here asking how to do that now...we'll get there eventually, hopefully sooner than later... Need to learn how to read a wiring diagram too...

Visual examples of how the wiring should look would be helpful...we know I was running on only 1 fusible link and there's supposed to be 2...

Here's a visual of that from an 84 Corvette...
Screenshot_20220107-175804_Photos.jpg

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
While I agree, fixing it proper is the way to go, he did just communicate he has a newborn in NICU so I'm betting disposable income to 'fix it correctly' is spoken for from higher priorities.
Yes exactly... On a budget at the moment, and this doesn't look more than fixing a replacing the fusible links...now that I know I don't need a solenoid, thanks to ELCAM.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I get budget constraints. And I get that everyone isn't ace mechanic. We want to help. But I don't want to confuse you by explaining all the wrong but creative ways we can make your car run. Please stick to the script and fix the actual problem. So let's work backwards.

1. Does the engine crank when you manually jump from the battery post to the "S" post on the solenoid?

I believe you answered yes.

2. Does the purple (start) wire have 12v in the crank position?

Post #1 says yes, but later you say it doesn't.

3. Do you have 12v going into (red wires) the ignition switch at the bottom of the column?

4. Does your ignition lock cylinder actuate the rod to the ignition switch at the bottom of your column?

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
1. Does the engine crank when you manually jump from the battery post to the "S" post on the solenoid?
Haven't tried that, I'll have to connect wires I have laying around together to try to do that.
2. Does the purple (start) wire have 12v in the crank position?
No, reads 0.00 in the crank position.
. Do you have 12v going into (red wires) the ignition switch at the bottom of the column?
Yes.
4. Does your ignition lock cylinder actuate the rod to the ignition switch at the bottom of your column?
No, the rod is completely gone. I use a screwdriver in the ignition switch...

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
. Does the engine crank when you manually jump from the battery post to the "S" post on the solenoid?
Sorry, I read this wrong, yes it cranks with a screwdriver touching the power terminal and solenoid terminal on the starter solenoid...

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sounds like you either have a bad ignition switch or the purple wore is open between the ignition switch and starter. Have you reattached the purple wire neat the switch or is there still speaker wire twisted in there?

Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Sounds like you either have a bad ignition switch or the purple wore is open between the ignition switch and starter. Have you reattached the purple wire neat the switch or is there still speaker wire twisted in there?
The ignition switch I have on it now is new, I may still have a warranty on it...

For awhile in the beginning when the key stopped working, I was only starting it by the bump starter...but I've also replaced the starter since then.

Speaker wire is removed but the purple wiring isn't long enough between the two pieces to tie to test that.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Well, the purple wire needs to be connected. And connected well. Then you can tell if the ignition switch is okay. Do you still have the rod? Can it be reinstalled?

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor