Starter question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
Ihave a 383 stroker motor that i just put in, the stock starter wont bolt back in because the flex plate that came with the motor is bigger then the stock... What starter do i need???? help me :blam:

robwkamm

Apprentice
Jun 16, 2009
Teaneck NJ
you need a 400 sbc starter. or you can get a 1970 nova 6 cylinder starter will work also. you will need to know if its a staggered bolt set up or across.

robwkamm

Apprentice
Jun 16, 2009
Teaneck NJ
the nose of the starter is offset . there were only 4 different chevy style noses made. ( ithink.) it was for different diameter flywheels.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
IIRC the numbers correctly there's a 163 tooth and a 158 tooth. just find out what the flywheel is and match it. it doesn't have to be a 400 starter, it can be pretty much any GM V8 starter. as long as it's correct for the bolt pattern inline/staggered

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
168 tooth/153 tooth

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
thanks, i always get that wrong!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor