starter solnoid keeps frying

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
well monte is all back together, nice new exhaust and the 700 r4, but it seems to be burning up starter solnoids, it will be running and the bam all the power gets cut to the whole car. all the fuses are good, all the grounds are good and all the connections are good. i put a test light on the solnoid and it shows power to th post where the main big cables go in but not the littl purple wire on the smaller post. any one have any ideas, im gonna pick up a new solnoid to see what happens with a new one out of the box, but if theres somthing causing it to burn out id really like to fix that. but most of all i wanna go cruise this thing that pypes exhaust sounds amazing. by the way alll the computor controlled stuff has been removed and and every has been properly done as far as i know, its the seconed time ive done this on one of these cars, and the first time ive ever had an issue.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
The starter sol is just that -- should have nothing to do with the auto just stalling or anything like that...

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Unless(i think) the starter also has an "r" terminal being used. I know I burnt that wire on my header and it killed all power to the car.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Sounds like wires burned off at the starter to me. The solenoid has nothing to do with the car losing electrical power. Happened on my old Delta 88 a coulple times.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
sorry i havent got back to you guys, i just moved into an apartment across town from where the car is at my parents house and i dont have internet unless i walk down a few units. but yeah the solnoid, not the problem. still dont know what it is, the wires all seemed ok, sommone said tryy the ignition switch. well now i have my column dropped new ignition switch in but, still nothing and i must of bent the rod trying install cause the key is stiffer than all hell and wont return to the on postion form the start position so thats another problem. but this weekend i will dissconnect all the wiring after i fix the ignition switch and loook through it all all agin, oddly enough when i swithced starters it did satart thout, but the same thing happenend the next day, with the power loss. if anyone hass anymore input ited be great, electrics are not my strong point.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
redneckracer305 said:
i put a test light on the solnoid and it shows power to th post where the main big cables go in but not the littl purple wire on the smaller post.

The purple wire should not have power unless the key is turned to the start position. The car gets it's power from the big terminal on the solenoid. Check for power at the fuse panel with a test light and let us know.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
i will do that first thing tommorow when i get the ignition switch right, and the column put back together, thanks. i dont think theres power getting to it, cause theres no dome light no nothing at all.

flip66

Apprentice
Nov 26, 2007
someone correct me if I am wrong but I think there is a fusable link in the wire harness going from the stater to the power in the car you might check that.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
flip66 said:
someone correct me if I am wrong but I think there is a fusable link in the wire harness going from the stater to the power in the car you might check that.

I was going to recommend that if he didn't have power at the fuse panel. Those are kinda a pain to replace, so its best to make sure that is the problem.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
well i finnnally crawled outta bed at noon after havin way to much fun last night and made it up here. first thing i did was put my old ignition switch in, no more sticky ignition and bolted my column back up, then i replace the battery cables and she fired and had power. so now obviously i have power to the fuse box. the only thing that strikes me as odd is it seems like every time the wires get takin off the starter and put back on it works, i havent run it really yet to see if the problem happens again, but ill be goin back out there to dial in the timing and carb momentarily, and well see what happens, boy that would somthin if it were just battery cables but still doesnt seem like it would be the fix but well see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor