Starting problem PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpenter383

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2011
When it does finally start does it smoke black or run rough or anything?
What engine is it?
when is the last time you tuned it up?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
RockSS said:
How about an ignition control module could be goin bad when it get hot it doesn't work but it could be a really badly adj. carb... idk good luck

That's what I was thinking.

lillee64

Apprentice
Nov 22, 2010
Phoenyx said:
RockSS said:
How about an ignition control module could be goin bad when it get hot it doesn't work but it could be a really badly adj. carb... idk good luck

That's what I was thinking.

its a chevy 350 with a 2barrel carb. it runs fine when its running, no smoke or anything. i can use it all day long with no problem. fires right up. but maybe 3 times a week it wants to be stubborn and not fire.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
then I think the carb is flooding...next time it happens hold the gas pedal to the floor and try to start it...if it does start don't take you foot off the gas right away or it'll stall....

lillee64

Apprentice
Nov 22, 2010
pontiacgp said:
then I think the carb is flooding...next time it happens hold the gas pedal to the floor and try to start it...if it does start don't take you foot off the gas right away or it'll stall....

that was my first assumption. doesnt work :(

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
then like some others suggested try a different module and make sure all the connections and wiring is in good shape in the distributor

lillee64

Apprentice
Nov 22, 2010
ok the engine starts fine expept when its hot now. i held down the gas and try starting it for about 2 minutes and it finally started. i notice that while im trying to start it, sometimes i see white puffs come out of the carb. how can i fix this?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
lillee64 said:
ok the engine starts fine expept when its hot now. i held down the gas and try starting it for about 2 minutes and it finally started. i notice that while im trying to start it, sometimes i see white puffs come out of the carb. how can i fix this?

Sounds like maybe your engine is flooding when hot....maybe you have a leak in the carb or your choke is coming on when it shouldnt. Take the air cleaner off before you try to start it, flip the throttle a few times and see if the choke plate is closing. if it is, and the engine is pretty warm, then that could be your problem. Your choke pull off could be malfunctioning and not doing what it should when the engine is warm. Also, if the carb bowl is not holding gas, then its probably leaking down into the manifold slowly. This will also cause a hard start ( flooded ) situation. dont forget to check all the vacuum hoses too.
Try starting it without touching the gas pedal when its hot. If it doesnt start, spray a bit of starter fluid in the carb. If it starts but then stalls....your carb has a sticking float or is leaking down and losing all the gas in the bowl so when you go to restart it...theres no gas in the carb. Also, your rich/lean setting could be too lean/rich, because when you cold start an engine, its choked and running richer than normal. So, sounds like it may be too lean when its warm.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor