Steering box upgrade, options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just completed installing the DSE ( Detroit Speed ) 670 steering box on my 1979 Pontiac GrandPrix SJ. It's a straight bolt in. All the original pitman arm and linkage are used. You will require a new Rag Joint from DSE, as the number of splines on the new box are different. They also sell a hose kit, with new later model type fittings. The stainless braided lines also give a nice custom finished look. The steering feel & handling are like day & night compared to the old 800 series box. Rack and pinion steering in a box.

Greetings Guys; This is why we are here. Thank you Myfine79 & oldtinsmith, this is the kind of info that I'm looking for. But has anyone used the AGR box? So now I can start sorting out the fetchers & costs between a new 800, 670, DSE and AGR units. Can you still buy a new 800 unit? Was - is the 670 the last units used on 1/2 ton trucks? Has anyone seen my old unit # 78256692 pop up before? Is this a common #? More feed back is good please chime in. Bob Jr.

vanrah,

I don't know about the 1/2 ton trucks. There are many boxes in the "600 series" boxes, but, I believe the new "670 box" is not interchangeable with the old "factory 600 boxes" (except the light duty 605 box like I've got in my El Camino) and they take different pitman arms, IIRC (guessing here!). ...As for the AGR box, I know nothing about them personally, but, over on G-body central, a member was selling (this was back on 4-7-2012) his new AGR box because he said he couldn't adjust the slop from the manufacturer out of it. PM me if you would like to know who posted it.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor