Steering box upgrade, options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
michael_l_matthews said:
whats up Mike, this is Mike as well, after alittle hassle and a slight headache I finally got the 800 box and new pitman installed and I must say that the difference is night and day. The steering is much tighter and the upgrade was definitely worth it.

hey mike, good to see you got on here. I haven't had anyone bite on the 455 it's not lookin good. Post some pics of the car!!
mike 8)

You should be able to use the same box that I just installed, but u will probably need to go to a junk yard and find a pitman arm that will fit the shaft on the new box. Not 100% sure about the Monte Carlo but for my Cutlass I had to find a pitman arm from an 85-87 G-Body. I've included the part number for the gear box but unfortunately finding the pitman arm will be up to you as it is no longer available from the parts store or dealership.

Napa: 88277101
Orielly: 27-6550
Auto Zone: 6561

Thanks everybody!
I have a lead on a Z box and I know of a regal and a 442 that might be junked soon.

I plan to swap boxes the same time that I install the 2" drop spindles.

Either go with the S10 manual gear box, which is 5 turns lock to lock, or you can go with the monte carlo ss quick ratio box, only 2.5 turns lock to lock.

As for the pitman arm deal, when I swapped to the monte ss box, I had to find a pitman arm from a monte carlo. My malibu's stock pitman arm mounting hole was one tenth smaller than the monte carlo pitman arm. Have had no issues with this mod.

I run the quick ratio box which you can get remanufactured at just about any parts store. Bought mine at O'reillys, since I work there, and it gives almost a rack and pinion feel to it. The other upgrade to consider with the steering box is the jeep cherokee intermediate shaft which eliminates alot of slop compared to the stock rag joint.

pontiacgp said:
I run the Z box for a few reasons, I like the close ratio, the fact that it has a heavier feel to it and that the stops prevent the 245-60-16 tires from rubbing the 36mm sway bar I have. The turning circle is increased but that doesn't bother me at all and if I need to make a quick u-turn I have a clutch and a gas pedal to assist me. The bump steer isn't affected if you use the G body pitman arm.
where did you get that 36mm bar ? stock or aftermarket ?

And it fits our G body without any modification ?

it's a little wider but it fits fine. I run a Z box so the stops in that box prevents the tire to rub on the bar. I do plan on welding a spherical bearing into the lower control arm for the roll bar link so it'll work better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor