Steering Column Pivot Pin Removal Tool Broke Inside Pivot Pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Tore down my steering column to replace my ignition actuator rack and reconnect my rod so I can finally start my car with my key...

I'm down to removing just one pivot been before I'm able to remove the ceramic housing cover covering the actuator rod and rack.

I used the pivot pin remover tool from NAPA, and the second tool broke inside of the pivot pin (first tool broke too, but not inside pin).

How do I remove this broken piece inside of the pivot pin ?

Dremel cutting wheel and flat tip screwdriver ? Hammer and chisel to pry out the pivot pin itself ?

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
You'll need a Bolt Extractor kit to get the old one out.

If the next tool looks like this DON'T use it!
112443.jpg

The step down thread is notorious for breaking (as you may know). Instead, get this tool.
IMG_4632.JPG

It's continuous thread is stronger that the Thick/Thin version, and way less prone to breakage.

Good luck!

Hutch

Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You'll need a Bolt Extractor kit to get the old one out.

View attachment 204164

The step down thread is notorious for breaking (as you may know). Instead, get this tool.
View attachment 204165
It's continuous thread is stronger that the Thick/Thin version, and way less prone to breakage.

Good luck!

Hutch
Weird..I've been using the first version for almost 3 decades without issue, dozens of columns. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
112443.jpg
Yes, I bought one and it pulled the first one out and then broke while taking it out of the second pivot pin. I went back to NAPA and exchanged it for another one, which is what's broke inside the pivot pin now...lessoned learned the hard way 🤦🏾‍♂

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
The bolt extractor kit meaning a left hand drill bit and extractor combo or another type of kit ? I bought a Dremel drill set but it isn't left handed bits.

I've been told to extract it with a screwdriver by cutting a slit with my Dremel and metal cutting blade.

I've been told to take a hammer and a small flathead screwdriver/chisel and try to pry and wiggle the pivot pin. I've tried that for a bit over the last 3 days here and there, but really no progress.

I've read in a forum that removing one pivot pin applies more pressure on the other, making it harder to pull the other pivot pin out. Is this true ?
Screenshot_20220808-002216-646.png
Screenshot_20220808-002109-356.png
Screenshot_20220808-002034-473.png

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Weird..I've been using the first version for almost 3 decades without issue, dozens of columns. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Maybe yours is so old it was made in America. Maybe they have new ones made over seas or they cut costs by using inferior alloy to make them. Who knows?? I just know I've heard a lot of bad news about that design.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Maybe yours is so old it was made in America. Maybe they have new ones made over seas or they cut costs by using inferior alloy to make them. Who knows?? I just know I've heard a lot of bad news about that design.

Hutch
Quite possible. Good to know if the day ever comes I need a replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor