Steering Column Pivot Pin Removal Tool Broke Inside Pivot Pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Tore down my steering column to replace my ignition actuator rack and reconnect my rod so I can finally start my car with my key...

I'm down to removing just one pivot been before I'm able to remove the ceramic housing cover covering the actuator rod and rack.

I used the pivot pin remover tool from NAPA, and the second tool broke inside of the pivot pin (first tool broke too, but not inside pin).

How do I remove this broken piece inside of the pivot pin ?

Dremel cutting wheel and flat tip screwdriver ? Hammer and chisel to pry out the pivot pin itself ?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Frankly, I don't think JB Weld is going to be strong enough to extract that pin. However, spot welding a rod or something of that nature would probably work, As you mentioned earlier, cutting a slot into the broken bolt and unscrewing the broken bolt sounds feasible.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
In the time this has been discussed, you could have slotted the pin/bolt and used a pocket screwdriver to back out the bolt. Just do it!

Back about 4 decades ago before I was a "professional" and bought the tool, we used a machine screw , a pair of vise grips, and brute pulling to remove the pins

You can do it!

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
In the time this has been discussed, you could have slotted the pin/bolt and used a pocket screwdriver to back out the bolt. Just do it!

Back about 4 decades ago before I was a "professional" and bought the tool, we used a machine screw , a pair of vise grips, and brute pulling to remove the pins

You can do it!
Yeah and in that time it's been over a hundred degrees and I've also been having to borrow cars and rides to go get the tools I don't have in order to do that... But trust and believe I want to get it done and out of the way as soon as possible...

I'm going to start tomorrow evening.. I would start early in the morning but I'm living with a friend right now and his son's room is the closest outlet to plug in my Dremel and extension cable and he doesn't wake up until noon which by then will be too hot so I wait until about 5:00 or 6:00 in the evening before I go out and start messing with the car. I had to go to the hospital about 2 weeks ago from staying and working in the heat all day for several days consecutively.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Ok, I bought the 2lb slide hammer last night...
IMG_20220812_070947172.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Be careful and take your time.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I got it out this morning with a Dremel metal cutting blade and a small flat head screwdriver 😎
IMG_20220813_082425110_HDR.jpg

And I have replacement pivot pins that arrive tomorrow...
Screenshot_20220813-083109-282.png

Reactions: 2 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I got to thinking, I can save money if I can pull this pivot pin out without the slide hammer and I can take it back for a refund. I'll hardly, if ever, use it again once I'm finished.

How do I set this thing up to pull this pivot pin out of the steering column?
IMG_20220812_070947172.jpg

Seen some guys say they used a socket, some washers, a nut, and an 8/32 bolt to make a puller...thoughts on that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor