Steering Column swap

matrx10503

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2010
I've cut the wires to my mounted switch (and connected the purple and pink to switch in column..but thats all I could figure because )...and have misplaced it. I don't have the newer positive curcuit motor installed, it looks like it bolts right in fine.

I don't have a white coming from harness/motor to switch....only 4 wires at switch (purple pink black gray)......

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Does the old motor work? Why not use it with the old dash switch for now? The white wire is on the engine side of firewall and goes to the motor, it is the power wire. The pink/grey/purple dash switch wires connect to ground, and that would be the black wire. That is why it's a negative ground system. To use the newer style the white wire would need to be run to the column switch. None of the other wires have anything in common between styles, but I would use them simply for the color coding to keep your sanity. That is why I suggest using the old system for now until you can see the wiring diagrams and compare them. I can't seem to get a clear copy scanned for some reason, but I'll stay at it.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I agree with Mark (Bonnewagon). If your current motor is still operational, keep the dash mounted switch in the meantime. If you connect it this way, you can still use your directionals and high beam. I've used mine the same way after changing out my column to a newer style tilt. I have since changed the wiper motor out for the newer type and have my stalk mounted switch wired up.
I have run new white and green wires and I haven't cut or hacked anything that can't be restored back to original.
Mark has been instrumental in helping me resolve the issue regarding switch and motor compatibility.
Thank you again, Mark. You're my savior.. :D

matrx10503

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2010
Ok, I guess Ill try to find my dash mount switch and rewire it back up...Hopefully I can find it

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hey there Jack, glad you saw this. Didn't you say one bolt on the newer wiper motor was off a bit? How did that work out?

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Check out the Chilton's link that Supkylesup posted. http://bounce.fatwallet.com/redirec...brary.mel.org:80/itweb/lom_accessmich?db=CHLL.
enter this as log in
C4535896486. Here is the diagram for 81'. http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/8594/images/85946235.pdf and here is for 88'. http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/8594/images/85946249.pdf. Jack and I were working with the 86' Pontiac wiring which seems a bit different.http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/8584/images/85846156.jpg As you can see, it's involved but not impossible to convert.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
Hey there Jack, glad you saw this. Didn't you say one bolt on the newer wiper motor was off a bit? How did that work out?
Wow Mark!
I only missed this by a few weeks...
Yes, when I tried installing the later wiper motor, the mounting bolts did not quite line up to the existing bolt pattern. What I did was set the motor in there and marked where I needed to drill a new hole. If I recall, 3 bolts did line up, one was off. I drilled a new hole and used a nut in that place. I know it sounds crude...or you could try running a tap with that thread in the hole.
And you could also tack weld the nut to the newly drilled hole.
I think the motor is still a little off center. I'll approach it another day.

Thanks again for all your help, Mark. It's much appreciated. :)

burgundy83

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2010
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Just a question about the signal switch. For the mechanical bit (part that rotates and turns on and off in the column itself), do they interchange? I just picked up one from an '88 Cutlass Classic to put in mine, wondering if I'll have any issues

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'm thinking they are the same. The signal arm WITHOUT wiper controls reaches all the way to the turn signal assembly. The one WITH wipers has an extension that screws to the signal switch. But the turn signal assembly itself is the same if my fading memory is to be trusted.

matrx10503

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2010
burgundy83 said:
Just a question about the signal switch. For the mechanical bit (part that rotates and turns on and off in the column itself), do they interchange? I just picked up one from an '88 Cutlass Classic to put in mine, wondering if I'll have any issues

The "turn signal switch", white. I suppose first check if wire colors are the same, I have a few I took out of other GMs, and only a couple wire colors will be different. If they are you are on the right track. Secondly if the other column is still in the car, just unplug the one on the column...and plug the one you want to interchange in and see if everything works, it doesn't need to be actually in the steering wheel to test it.
Good Luck.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor