Steering column/wiper switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaked1985

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2016
So... I finally picked up a floor shift column for my monte project.
Wasn't paying much attention...apparently.
The floor shift column I got is out of an 81 monte. It has no multi function switch, the wiper switch is/was in the dash.
My 84 has cruise,washer and wiper functions on the column.
I have 3 column shift columns I can rob parts out of, would I be able to tear it down and swap the switch/lever and clock spring from one of the others to make the floor shift column useable?
If not.... Who wants a blue floor shift column?

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Should be able to make it work. Or even just swap the smooth shift collar to a column shift column

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
did somebody say barter? i have a great cond tight tilt 84-88 floor shift column id barter for your column if the tilt is tight and it is in good shape?pm me if interested.

Reactions: 1 user

Jaked1985

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2016
did somebody say barter? i have a great cond tight tilt 84-88 floor shift column id barter for your column if the tilt is tight and it is in good shape?pm me if interested.
Tilt seems pretty tight, about 1000 times better than the floppy steering wheel in my 84.
Column is in pretty good shape. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow. If it looks like it's gonna be a big pain to swap parts around i might just take you up on that barter.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
It's not too bad, their is a couple good write-ups on the webs about GM columns. However if those other columns are in good shape maybe it's better not to tear them apart. Columns are sellable to a lot of buyers, retro fits into older rods and such

Might be just as well to take LAX up on his offer...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would just barter for the right column. They ship fine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Just get the right column. They are pretty complicated. It would suck to take them all apart and then find some silly thing does not interchange.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I agree...swap the column out for a(right type) usable one and save the headache of tearing it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor