Steering column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I want another steering column. My dash and wiring is from a 79. I know later columns will physically fit. What about the wiper/ turn switch? Is there a work around for that to work?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Up to 81 is the same as yours. 82-later is where you'd have an issue. Anything can be done, but you'll be in for some wiring.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
And what did you do about your wipers?

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
I need to find a tilt column for my 87. But not sure if I need an older one because I know if I can get cruise control to work on my carb

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I'm ok having the stalk for wipers, just not sure about the turns working correctly.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The TS switch is the same on the El Camino from 78 to 87. There are two different switches for the tilt column one with cornering lights and one with out, I think the cornering light switch has more wires but uses the same connector.

The wiper switch up to 83 will work as is. The dash mounted connector will not plug into the column mounted switch so you will have to splice or get a connector and put the wires into it. Purple to purple, gray to gray, pink to pink. More if it is a delay wiper setup. You can use the early wiper switch in a later column and later in and earlier column, check if it is a pin mounted pivot or a bolt mounted pivot they do not interchange.

The cruise is all in the handle and all use the same connector from the handle whether the early mechanical or the later electronic type.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Maybe pagrunt will chime in later with what he did to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor