Steering column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Adding a later column to an earlier car is no problem, as you can still use the dash mounted wiper switch if so desired.

Putting an earlier column in a later car will require adding the wiper switch and harness to the column

My 81 coupe has an 84 column in it, I extended the wiper wiring to connect to the column switch, but had to change the wiper switch to an 82, as the circuitry changed in 84

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
So 83 or earlier, extend the wiring to the column to make the stalk work. 84 or later replace the stalk with an 83 or earlier stalk?

Right or wrong or still confused.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Maybe pagrunt will chime in later with what he did to make it work.
As Ribbedroof stated it was install & plug the dash connectors is all you need to do. I just let the wiper switch harness hang. Even the original turn signal lever just pops in. The key thing to remember is '78-'81 can use any column as long as the correct lower shaft ('78's with matched splined, all others with the double D), '82-'83 with the '78-'83 negative wiper motor/dash harness wired for it, '84-'88 with the positive motor. You could splice in the '82-'83 dash harness plug & convert to column wipers with no issues if using one of those columns. Now if you have the skills you can convert any column to the wiper set up of your choice as even the non wiper columns were designed to have the switch installed. GM dragged its feet to go that way. I'm actually thinking about converting the manual column over but fearful of breaking any of the manual exclusive parts.

Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
As Ribbedroof stated it was install & plug the dash connectors is all you need to do. I just let the wiper switch harness hang. Even the original turn signal lever just pops in. The key thing to remember is '78-'81 can use any column as long as the correct lower shaft ('78's with matched splined, all others with the double D), '82-'83 with the '78-'83 negative wiper motor/dash harness wired for it, '84-'88 with the positive motor. You could splice in the '82-'83 dash harness plug & convert to column wipers with no issues if using one of those columns. Now if you have the skills you can convert any column to the wiper set up of your choice as even the non wiper columns were designed to have the switch installed. GM dragged its feet to go that way. I'm actually thinking about converting the manual column over but fearful of breaking any of the manual exclusive parts.

So the simple way..... Turn signal should hook up regardless of year. I can use my dash mounted wiper and have non functional wiper controls on the stalk?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So the simple way..... Turn signal should hook up regardless of year. I can use my dash mounted wiper and have non functional wiper controls on the stalk?
Yep, it's separate from everything else so outside of yourself & us here no one will even tell the difference.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
As pagrunt stated, you can remove the wiper stalk and use the original lever. That's what's in my coupe

Attachments

• IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    971.2 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor