Steering shaft upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well, if it's of any consequence, I ordered one for a Jeep Wrangler by accident. I beat it on the concrete to get to to slide, I mentioned it was for a Jeep Wrangler? Yeah, I had to cut the shaft down to fit a Malibu.

Reactions: 1 user

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
I want to say this without hurting too many feeling since I know many have made this upgrade to u joints.

A Jeep and an Astro are not body on frame construction. That is why they do not require a floating joint.
The collapsing feature is to crush in an accident.

The original steering shaft has 2 sliders in a knuckle. There is a difference. If you had both in front of you, you can easily understand.

Also a rag joint is not a source of slop. It only is when it's broken.
if by replacing the rag joint shaft with new one would it be just as good as replacing with a Astro are jeep shaft

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Absolutely, just as good. The only place where rag joints get a bad reputation is their name. Some people think of an old shop rag connecting their steering system. It's actually fiber reinforced rubber. A super solid connection but with compliance for angle. Same joint in on the end of a driveshaft for a BMW and a Charger.

The videos floating around comparing the slop in a broken rag joint vs a universal joint. :LOL:

Replacements are available through Dorman, Mike's Monte and many other reproduction suppliers.

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
What ahout the lower steering column bearing upgrade? Still worth it or ovoverhype?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well, if it's of any consequence, I ordered one for a Jeep Wrangler by accident. I beat it on the concrete to get to to slide, I mentioned it was for a Jeep Wrangler? Yeah, I had to cut the shaft down to fit a Malibu.
Perhaps the Jeep Wrangler shaft is much longer than the Cherokee shaft. or else I can't see having to cut it down.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
What ahout the lower steering column bearing upgrade? Still worth it or ovoverhype?
I replaced the lower bearing with one from an Astro van. It seemed to have a snugger fit to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor