Steps for a big power olds motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Only thing I havnt figured out is rods and pistons. Not worth getting too excited with choices since I dont know the bore yet and piston choice kinda influences the rod choice. Probably end up going with sbc rods and ground crank. Probably go the smallest bore possible with an off the shelf piston or whatever it takes to clean up the bores. 411x15PSI=800ish hp Above the goal!

don4life

Apprentice
Jun 22, 2014
I remember about 10 years ago there was an engine builder that built 455 olds that could run 10 sec all day on pump gas and barely see 6k rpm but cant remember what magazine it was in for the life of me

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
I do know opening the block up to 4.125 is a safe bet on the DX for durability. The chevy 6 inch rods can be used straight or off-set ground. Straight will get you 425ci with the 4.125 bore and off-set goes bigger but, slows down the rotation speed and increases wall friction. Not good on a race motor that you want to last. So try not to go too big for longevity purposes. Of course if you have another DX block then go for the cubes. :wink:
T

Bigdaddy198

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2014
I can set you up with a full bodied Cutlass with a 461" BBO thats got stage 2 ported C heads and a ported edelbrock torker intake motor has about 110 1/8th mile passes and about 201/4 mile passes runs a turbo 400 footbraking it has ran 10.70's has a 6 pt bar in it still has a rear seat fuel cell and battery in the trunk. Its a 12.5 to 1 motor and was on 110 octane for the first 70 passes then I got smart put it on e85 and now its costing me under $3.00 a gallon for my fuel and this car yanks the front wheels off the ground at the hit. Cool part is I still have my Dominator and I am going to convert it and put it back on just to get her breathing better but its got a 1050 quick fuel on a 4150 frame and it can only get better. The motor was built by a very reputable Olds only builder and he owns a couple record holding cars of his own. And for a really decent price you could own this one. Its got enough stuff that can come off it to loose another 800 to 1000 lbs and then your running 9's its also got a title has not been on the street in years but has been a real crowd pleaser most people cant believe its running that good @ 3800 lbs with a BBO power me I think its cool. Car is available if your interested very reasonable priced at 9k you could spend twice that much trying to make your set up go this car does it every time and it runs really cool on the e85 so its very streetable 720 hp and its got the right trans fresh built and 12 bolt full spool 4.11 gears great set up. I have my eyes on a new project.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor