Still Have One Wire With No ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You could use a multimeter if you ground the headlight circuit in the engine bay and check for continuity. But personally, I wouldn't be too worried about it. I have about 8 plugs dangling in the dash for items that no longer exist. If something doesn't work, then remember that wire dangling and see what it does.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
There should be a matched connector in heater harness. It is the power feed from the fuse box. Both A/C & non A/C harnesses power off that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
LOL, did you read the whole post ? The motor and everything under the hood hasnt been installed. Ive got no engine harness and I dont know what I could use to power up the fuse block. In other words, cant use a test light.
From what Ive been told, this is one of the radio harnesses. Yellow was keyed power, black is ground and gray is illumination. Those wires have already been used.

View attachment 86774
I did read whole post, what does head light harness got do with your engine harness. Are you saying that engine harness or wires going to the fire wall that connects to the fuse block is missing.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I did read whole post, what does head light harness got do with your engine harness. Are you saying that engine harness or wires going to the fire wall that connects to the fuse block is missing.

Thats correct. I havent put the bulkhead connector under the hood back on. The AC setup under the hood is partially finished. Most of the wiring on that is hooked up. I took the bulkhead connector apart to attach the wiring harness to the back of the dash. If that brown wire powers the AC, what/where does it tie in to a harness ?
You need to realize that Im putting a car back together thats been stripped to a shell and its been apart like this since mid 2015.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Day two of this fiasco. I just came home from the local yard. Looked under the dash of a Cutlass thats there. I can see the wire but I cant see where it winds up so Im going back with some tools. This is pissing me off. One stupid wire holding up the whole thing.
I looked under my dash and I also looked at some of the photos I took of the dash before I put it back into the car. I can only see one wire that looks similar to the plug in question. Its up above the wire for the lighter. Strange because the wire in the Cutlass in the yard looks like its going towards the drivers side.

IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG

This is the wire thats above the lighter. It comes out of the same harness. Looks like the male plug would go right in but the wire seems like its too short. Not sure if thats because the harness is moved over too much to the right or if its not the right plug. If its the right plug I could always lengthen the wire a few inches on either end.

IMG_1520.JPG

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Just to give you guys an update, the wire issue has been resolved.
I guess when I attached the harness to the back of the dash the female plug in the last photo should have been moved to the left slightly. I couldnt get the male in it because it wasnt long enough.
I wound up going to the local yard and cut the male out of the harness along with a long length of wire. Went home, cut the existing male at the connector, added the longer length and plugged it in. Done.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
That wire above the lighter is the other connector that it connects too. I was incorrect about the wire in your fist picture being connected to the head lights, I was thinking about an a body harness. So I am going to explain how this brown wire works and how its connect the best I can for you with pictures. At your fuse box you will see A/C 25 amp should be a brown wire connected to that or few brown wires depending on if you have cruise control or trunk opener. One of those wires is called a power or feed wire that comes out of the instrument panel harness and its closer to the driver side. The other brown wire is coming out of your A/C harness with two other connectors for your A/C heater control panel. What that brown wire does is supply power to the control panel just like other members have said and blower switch and your A/C. Those wires for the blower switch are all so connect to the blower resistors. A/C connector for the control panel is all so tied into other component's , harness to compressor, pressure switch and relay. I need to find my other manuals that show wire colors.
20180414_155759.jpg
20180414_221932.jpg
20180414_211653.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor