Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
I definitely will hopefully its sooner rather than later

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Reviving an old thread on which I stumbled by accident...

Even though mine is a 83 GP with console shifter, this might be of some help... Changing shifters from original to aftermarket was not that hard. I replaced the TH-350 with a 4L60E and the stock shifter with a B&M QuickSilver (#80683). Let me know if there's still interest in this thread.

Reactions: 1 users

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Mike,
As you requested, here are a few pics of the mod. Ignore the wiring on the shifter in pic 1 -- it was a temporary setup to test out the shifting. I've since implemented a Shifter Decoder that senses the shifts at the transmission (Lokar Indicator Control Module CINS-17002). I use this decoder to light up LEDs in the billet shifter plate (pic 3) that I have machined to display shifter gear selection. It's also used to sense Park and Neutral -- prevent starting (i.e., Neutral Safety Switch) -- as well as to activate the backup lights.

I re-used most of the OEM shifter bracketry to mount the B&M shifter (pic 1), with some minor modifications. Even though the console itself is somewhat modified in front of the shifter, everything back of the blue tape (pic 2) is pretty much original. The main reason for the customized bracketry is to ensure that the B&M shifter sits at proper height in the console. It's possible to mount the B&M shifter to the floor bracketry without all this customization -- I'm just somewhat "anal" with this car ;).

I hope this gives you some idea of what was done. I probably have other pictures but would have to look for them.

GP Shifter 001.jpg GP Shifter 002.jpg

GP Shifter 003.jpg GP Shifter 004.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
.... looks great n I want to do it but it is more entailed than I had imagined. .....

That's usually the case with any mod. I have a non-G-Body that is full custom everything. I've had the car 40 years and have never stopped updating it. I always do my best to integrate the mods so that NOTHING looks like an add-on. Instead it has to be fully integrated.

I often get people who ask how I did something because they're interested in duplicating something I did. I can always determine the exact point where they say to themselves....."forget it, I ain't doing THAT"

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Mike,
As you requested, here are a few pics of the mod. Ignore the wiring on the shifter in pic 1 -- it was a temporary setup to test out the shifting. I've since implemented a Shifter Decoder that senses the shifts at the transmission (Lokar Indicator Control Module CINS-17002). I use this decoder to light up LEDs in the billet shifter plate (pic 3) that I have machined to display shifter gear selection. It's also used to sense Park and Neutral -- prevent starting (i.e., Neutral Safety Switch) -- as well as to activate the backup lights.

I re-used most of the OEM shifter bracketry to mount the B&M shifter (pic 1), with some minor modifications. Even though the console itself is somewhat modified in front of the shifter, everything back of the blue tape (pic 2) is pretty much original. The main reason for the customized bracketry is to ensure that the B&M shifter sits at proper height in the console. It's possible to mount the B&M shifter to the floor bracketry without all this customization -- I'm just somewhat "anal" with this car ;).

I hope this gives you some idea of what was done. I probably have other pictures but would have to look for them.

View attachment 96431 View attachment 96432

View attachment 96433 View attachment 96434
That looks really nice! Do you have a build thread? I would like to see more of your car.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
That looks really nice! Do you have a build thread? I would like to see more of your car.

Thanks for the compliment! Sorry, no build thread -- never found the time but I've got pictures of the whole process, which lasted for about 10 years :(. This was my first car -- factory ordered when I started working after graduation. From the very first day I always wanted to modify it. Mind you, tastes change over a lifetime (of over 35 years), but I always enjoyed working on it (and driving it).

I don't mind posting some pictures, but I really don't want to highjack this OP's thread.

Reactions: 1 user

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Go right ahead, Kiko, the more the merrier. I've pretty much decided on keeping my stock arrangement for the time being but seeing other peoples ideas is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor