Stock frame ride height

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
with our metric (G body) circle track cars we had to use the stock front lower control arm. We played with ride heights and you can't have the frame lower than 6" off the ground. Under that the frame would rest on the hump on the lower when the suspension was compressed.

lower.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I cant confirm anything without the full weight of the vehicle on the suspension, and new suspension components. Front is apart and I just pulled the rear springs to let it sit down.

Within 1/4 is fine, its not a cup car.

Its getting coil overs in the front, and hopefully the front uppers, rear uppers, and rear lowers I make on it. As well as installing a 9"

I just used a cut off wheel on the front springs, gets about 2/3rds of the way through the coil and it breaks with a loud snap, safety 3rd.
One spring was already broken at the last coil and the the other was already broke into 3 pieces before I cut it again.

Every shock was garbage.

Cut out the rotten body bushing holes and replaced them with the Dixie Restoration Depot washers, as they had the best price.

Finish welding the washers in this week and installing the other stuff. Should be back to the guy by Friday. Unless I can convince him to let me notch and box it.

View attachment 135825

Disregard the mess, but peep that dirt cheap LED lighting.

I'm liking the pink panther on the garage door, I just noticed him.... :)

Reactions: 1 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I'm liking the pink panther on the garage door, I just noticed him.... :)

Its from something to do with this car, probably a panel from a trailer or tow vehicle

IMG_4424.jpg

There is quarter panel from it laying against the metal rack, dads friend Eric drove it (and the car in my profile pic) This pic was from a book from the late 80s that covered just about every form of racing in the united states. I think Scott Bloomquist was on the page before it and Billy Moyer the page after it. If you look close in the above pic theres a pink thumbs up in the back "window"

Dad is a sponsor on the quarter in the book and the one in the shop, auctioneer extraordinaire.

Edit: Also note Benson's Speed Equipment on the quarter, Johnny Benson Sr's speed shop. Before Jr was a Cup driver.

Reactions: 1 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Opened up Tuesday night
IMG_4525.jpg

Boxed back in Wednesday
IMG_4524.jpg

Ignore the crap photo quality.

Gotta get the plasma back out and cut some 1/8" steel up and fill whats left. Then flip it and finish weld underneath.

I think I made the right tweaks to the LCA brace I have designed for the plasma cutter.

Welding in a brace to replicate the UMI rear shock brace as well.

Hopefully its out of here by next week.

Reactions: 3 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Got the smaller pieces / corners filled that my bought plates didnt cover.
IMG_4540.jpg
IMG_4541.jpg

My ex college football player buddy came over and helped flip it this morning. Found the common under rail cancer. Should be a simple fix.

IMG_4544.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
IMG_4570.jpg
1582859540481.png

Well.

I cut out beyond the rust so it looks worse than it was. Ill weld it tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
IMG_4610.jpeg

Got out the ol tube notcher last night, and re taught myself "measure twice cut once" :rolleyes:

Hopefully the rear UCA doesnt hit, but its what he wanted 🤷‍♂️

Got it flipped after this pic, finish welding those bars and the front patch tonight before painting all of it.

Ready to get the damn thing outa here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor