Stock motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I took mine to a local exhaust shop and talked to the guy. He put a different muffler on it and split the exhaust there. The cat was previously removed. Sounds awesome. Nice throaty sound

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
But....but...don't you and your muffler guy know about the federal law?
b0Pi0RS.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Long tube ceramic coated headers, 2 1/2 pipe, two nice turbo mufflers dumped behind the rears wheels. Hagerty Insurance. I can do whatever I want and still drive it but mine is a toy. Thank you Arizona.

Reactions: 1 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Long tube ceramic coated headers, 2 1/2 pipe, two nice turbo mufflers dumped behind the rears wheels. Hagerty Insurance. I can do whatever I want and still drive it but mine is a toy. Thank you Arizona.
C'mon man.......don't you know some govt bureacrat (rather than yourself) gets to decide what exhaust you put on your car???

You are going to give Tie Pilot an aneurysm.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
m3lybux848n61.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

JerRol79ElCam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2018
A test pipe will add sound, in place of the catalytic converter. If you need more, headers and true 2.25" or 2.5" dual exhaust will not only add sound but at least 30 hp/tq. Carefully remove the factory exhaust, including manifolds and store it away carefully. Nobody makes it and probably never will again. If that still isn't enough, a bigger cam adds sound but you can't go too big on a 5L with just over 8 to 1 compression. Good luck.
Do What? If you want more anything from a 307, you're going to have to add a turbo, a blower or a Procharger, any of which will hit you for $3000 just for the parts. Even then, you won't have half what you would with a 327 or 350 built right. Other than what I listed, if you try to do anything else to a 307, you're actually losing power and wasting money. Anything bigger than 2 inch pipes on a 305 or 307 kills the power because it needs restriction to help develop the little power that they make. Do some research. I tried it once on a 4WD Blazer just because the owner paid me to do it. It bogged it down so bad that he wanted 2 inch duals put back on.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Anything bigger than 2 inch pipes on a 305 or 307 kills the power because it needs restriction to help develop the little power that they make. Do some research.
Maybe you should do a bit of research. VIN 9 Olds 307 used standard 2.25" exhuast. 2.5" wouldn't be a stretch if someone were to go that route.

And once again, off the rails we go again when someone is asking about STOCK replacement stuff and answers to questions that nobody asked show up...

Could we just stick with trying to help out with the request instead of fighting out over opinions about exhaust systems that weren't even asked about?

Waldron exhaust can make you some 8x4 mufflers to stock lengths for a slightly pricey 230 bucks for aluminized steel. They'll be 1/2" thicker than stock, but oh well. You could have them do a mini-Imitator muffler option or whatever their middle sounding muffler is. Then have a good muffler shop fab you up a Y pipe and tail pipes with the correct type of hanger brackets welded on, bolt it all together and you'll have as close to a stock style exhaust as you'll get. You'll probably have to corner dent the mufflers yourself if you want that look.

The crinkle pipes aren't typical anymore unless you got the special die for your horseshoe bender because they're not mass producing the pipes using heat. So factory crinkles are probably not in your future.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I totally disagree, I noticed a seat of the pants improvement with a full length headers and 2.25" dual exhaust on a Vin Y 307. The Vin 9 has the smog 455 cam, actually slightly more lift. Do it smarter, fool everyone but 69HurstOlds. Something Ford did it in 85 on the Mustang. They kept single exhaust, increased size of all the pipe, Y pipe 1 3/4" to 2.25" and 2.25" to 2.5" and added shorty headers. Like the FE3X Olds Prototype, Ford gained 30 hp with the only difference being a tiny bit better roller cam for 85. Enlarge from the crossover pipe all the way back. You will gain some and power AND sound. Unless they get out the caliper, how will they know it isn't stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor