Strange spool question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
I have a spool in my car, quick performance 9" too, don't have any problems driving at all. It's not a daily driver but I never go down the road wishing I had something different.

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
not in my opinion.....on the city streets you'll be a hazard for everyone else
How did this go from asking a question to ripping on me? Im putting in a spool. Its gona go from home to drag strip and drag strip to home not even a 10 minute drive from my house. Have fun with ur car. Im sire ur posi or locker works just fine

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The issues with driving a spool on the street is on any turn the car is trying to be pushed straight since the tires never unlock like a posi or locker if you got caught in the rain the wet pavement would be hazardous.
On tight turns you have the issue of the inside tire spinning in place while the outside tire rotates to make the turn which causes added stress on your axles and added wear on your tires.
Many people drive spools on the street without issues but most will say it is a compromise.
For me I have a Detroit Locker in my 9" and in my opinion it is the best of both worlds since it fully locks for straight line power like a spool but unlocks on turns for street driving and because my car is a street car I can truly say I have no regrets on my decision.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
How did this go from asking a question to ripping on me? Im putting in a spool. Its gona go from home to drag strip and drag strip to home not even a 10 minute drive from my house. Have fun with ur car. Im sire ur posi or locker works just fine
lilbowtie said:
If your gong to put a spool in - go for it but be awful careful. If you need to make a evasive move at speed your car won't respond and you'll have your hands full. Ask me how I know. $149.00 for a spool - $399.00 traction lock
How does ur car not reapond?

Not trying to rip on you - more like educate. You first stated the car was for the street, now it sounds like a strip car. My first post explains why the car won't respond. I run a nine inch w/ a spool also - as I said be careful ! Try parallel parking when you get it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor