Strange Wiper issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2013
Aberdeen, North Carolina
I'm Copying this directly from my thread over on montecarloss.com i thought maybe you guys might be able to help as well

Car is a 86 monte ss

Over the past few months i've developed a strange wiper issue i've never seen before. When i turn them on (no matter what setting) they only move up maybe an inch and a half then back down without any grinding noises or anything as if they're working perfectly. If i continue to leave them on for 2-3 minutes they will work there way back up to normal little by little. Has anyone ever had any issues with this before? I havent torn anything apart yet but im not sure i'd know what im doing if i did.

any input would be greatly appreciated

also does anyone know if all gbody wiper arms are the same? it apeared the passenger side has been changed and differs a little from the original in terms of angle.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
Sounds as though it has to do with the wiper motor linkage being loose or your motor is lagging. Does the motor appear to have a lag or difficulty in lifting the arms if you assist it? I did a small search for info on this issue, is the motor linkage loose or missing a nut that attaches the linkage arm to the motor?

jkey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2013
Aberdeen, North Carolina
MrLightning said:
Sounds as though it has to do with the wiper motor. take the motor out and see if its worn on the inside, ive never had one apart...............but seems as there would be gears inside or atleast some kind of cam system, clearly sounds as though theres some worn parts within it. Does the motor appear to have a lag or difficulty in lifting the arms if you assist it?

Maybe a little bit its just strange that after awhile it'll be perfect working order and it'll stay working all day after turning them off, but if it sits over night the next morning its hit or miss.
I did a small search for info on this issue, is the motor linkage loose or missing a nut that attaches the linkage arm to the motor?

I've haven't been into it yet but i will check it out next chance i get.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
sounds as though a little grease might be in order as well, junkyard find another monte and replace your motor. ill bet it is worn

AlamoCity210

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2012
San Antonio, Tx
I remember some time ago reading about an issue with the wiper motor. When mine gave out, I bought a new one from autozone and it did what you ate describing. It would lag when going up. My old one didn't do it. O well, I rarely drive my car in the rain. When I do, I use that rainX stuff. Works pretty good.

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
When I replaced the wiper motor on my wagon, it wouldn't cycle properly either.
I had to add a redundant ground, connected from the ground strap on the wiper to the ground at the top of the driver's fender rail. (near the cruise control module)
It has worked perfectly since then.

jkey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2013
Aberdeen, North Carolina
jmt455 said:
When I replaced the wiper motor on my wagon, it wouldn't cycle properly either.
I had to add a redundant ground, connected from the ground strap on the wiper to the ground at the top of the driver's fender rail. (near the cruise control module)
It has worked perfectly since then.

i'm going to give this a try and see what happens. thanks for everyones input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor