Stroked LS3 '81 to '87 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I'd like to add to RabbitHoleSS by saying before you buy anything new, talk with your machine shop of choice. Many can get a far better price for blocks, rotating assemblies etc for less than the average guy. I saved quite a lot by doing this. Just an FYI

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’d tell you to save your money on that rotating assembly with a 500 hp goal (unless it’s a 500whp goal).

An LS3 with a proper cam, valve springs and headers will make 500 all day long.

Regarding the 4L80, a proper stock rebuild will last you a lifetime. Let the cam choice make your converter decision.

11.9 compression will work if you can keep your intake temps under control, but it begs the question if ‘why’? 10.5-11.1 will be more than adequate for a daily driver.

And for a daily driver, the Term X Max is way more than enough (I make double your goal with an X Max and properly setup stock 4L80 and a 5.3 with a little boost).

Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I’d tell you to save your money on that rotating assembly with a 500 hp goal (unless it’s a 500whp goal).

Regarding the 4L80, a proper stock rebuild will last you a lifetime. Let the cam choice make your converter decision.

11.9 compression will work if you can keep your intake temps under control, but it begs the question if ‘why’? 10.5-11.1 will be more than adequate for a daily driver.

And for a daily driver, the Term X Max is way more than enough (I make double your goal with an X Max and properly setup stock 4L80 and a 5.3 with a little boost).
A little boost? :sneaky:

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
No boost needed for 500hp if you can stand a rumpety thump cam.

But a little boost will make everyone smile (or at least me).

I’d tell the OP or anyone looking for 500-800hp, a little boost goes a long way. Spending money on a built short or long block is a humongous waste of money when a 150k mile 4.8 from a JY van with a Wuhan war whistle for the same or less money will whip you like it’s an early 19th century plantation owner.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Haha

GR8ONE68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2015

64, I hear you on the rotating assembly. It may not make sense to some, but being an old Pontiac guy, I want 428 cubic inches. 500 hp isn't mandatory, just what I had in mind. Thanks for the information on the Terminator X and the 4L80e, that's what I thought, just looking for confirmation. I don't want the compression to be on the edge, if I can get the pistons that will get me down under 11:1, I will.

Reactions: 1 user

Shinobi68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2023
OK, I've been lurking, researching, and learning. First of all, I'm a Pontiac guy through and through. I had a '68 GTO for 25 years. I traded it back in 2017 with no regrets. I had run my course with that car and had a lot of fun along the way. 1967 was my favorite year for the GTO and all GM cars for that matter. My plan was to get a '67 to retire with, but the way the old car market has gone in the last 5 years, I'm out on that idea. I refuse to pay $50k for an average condition car. The first new car I ever bought was a 1983 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ Brougham. I have loved that body style ever since. With the '67 GTO out of the picture, I've decided to pick up a 1981 to 1987 Grand Prix and do an LS swap. I won't go into details of what I want, but I'll be looking for a while before I get one. I have been researching and putting together a plan and wanted to throw it out there for comments to make sure my logic is right and recommendations on some areas that I haven't settled on yet. I plan to go with an LS3. I will bore it out .010" and use a 4.1" stroke crank. Why, you ask? Nostalgia! If you do the math on that combination, it comes out to 427.8 cubic inches. Most would call that a 427, to me, it's a 428. This wasn't the way I really wanted to get there, I wanted to bore an LS3 .060" (4.125") and use a 4" crank. That is almost exactly what the Pontiac 428 bore and stroke was, 4.12" bore x 4" stroke. But that was the old cast iron block thinking, you can't bore an aluminum block that much. Oh well, the .010" overbore and 4.1" stroke gets me there. I will put old '67 to '69 Grand Prix 428 badges on it. Below is a breakdown on what I plan so far:

Motor:
LS3, +.010", 4.1" crank
Cam, TBD based on recommendations with my goals in mind.
Heads, stock LS3 heads, upgrade the valve train if my cam choice dictates the need.
Intake/throttle body, Stock LS3, but willing to change if it's necessary to get me to my goals.
Rotating assembly will be forged and balanced.
I will want/need an alternator, P/S pump, and A/C, I read something about an F body pulley for one of them to clear, help? Will a stock serpentine system work? Which one?

Transmission:
4L80e, will I need to upgrade it to handle my goals?

Controllers:
Holley Terminator X Max to control the motor and trans. Is there any reason to go with the Dominator other than "It's better"? Does it have any features that I may want? What are some of the inputs/outputs available that may be nice and I'm not thinking of?
Dakota Digital ECD-200 to keep the stock speedometer with the electronic trans.

Rear:
12 bolt Posi with disc brakes. If I get it going, I want to make sure it stops...
Gears: TBD based on the combination. I'm thinking 3.55's, but I want it to match the cam choice so it gets me into the right RPM range.

Wheels/Tires:

I want a stock looking car. I plan on using Wheel Vintiques Pontiac Rallye II's 17" x 9" with 275-40-17 tires in back and Wheel Vintiques Pontiac Rallye II's 16" x 8" with 225-50-16 tires up front. Will 235 50 16's fit up front without rubbing in turns?

Goals:
I want a stock appearing, very fast car. A sleeper. I would like it to hit 500 hp. I think this is a very reasonable goal, the LS3 is 430 HP stock. I'm thinking that with the added 52 cubic inches and a mild cam upgrade, I should be there. I'm not trying to squeak out every HP I can, I don't want a lopey cam. I had that in my GTO and loved it. But, at my age, I'm past that.

Thanks in advance!

Thoughts and recommendations?
Also subscribing. Being this is my first G Body swap, I will be watching your thread for tips.

My grandfather left me a 1985 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.8l. I was going to sell it but it's actually a really nice car to drive to the store or when I need to drive comfortably somewhere, it's easy to jump in and go. After driving a few months I noticed other people taking notice of the car and giving thumbs up as they would drive by. I have had/have a lot high HP cars ranging from 500-1040hp (Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, CTS-V, Twin Turbo C5, C7Z Maggie 2650, C8 Z51, Telsa Plaid etc.) so I'm used to having fast cars on the street, strip, and track. Being that I'm looking to have a nice daily driving G Body with more hp, I started looking into swapping in a V8. I have a newly rebuilt '69 327 w/TH350 in the garage, it would have been a straightforward swap into the Grand Prix, but at the end of day it would still be a SBC that got 10-12 mpg making 285-300hp. My hp goal is between 350-400, while getting over 18 mpg, I looked into buying SBC heads (TFS, AFR), cam, Holley EFI intake to increase the hp to 350-385 and get maybe 15-16 mpg...but it ended up coming out to around $5k for those mods.

I then looked at doing an LS swap specifically LS3 or an LT (I still have the stock LT4 supercharger from by C7Z), but while researching and planning I came across an '04 LS1 (Vette) with 50K miles on it (complete drop out w/harness, ECM, TAC/Pedal) for $3500. Any LS1 past 11/2001 had the newer style (LS6) block and intake. The '04 Vette LS1 is rated at 350/350 hp/tq and is all aluminum, so it weighs (450lbs) which is about the same as the Iron 3.8l motor (500lbs), and it's good for about 22-26 mpg while cruising on the freeway. At 450lbs I can keep the OEM ride (stock suspension) and maybe will just replace the shocks and upgrade the rear brakes.

So far I have picked up the following Holley Swap parts:
Pan, Crossmember, Mounts (motor, frame, and clam shell), OEM tank EFI Fuel Pump (return on pump).
I still need to pick up a 4L60e, LT1 F Body Radiator w/support, and ICT Mini Air Con Pump so I can retain the AC in the car. I contemplated the ICT or Dirty Dingo AC high mount relocation, but my friend owns A&A Corvette and I'm sure will make me a great deal on one his C5 Vette Supercharger Kits should I ever decide to move the HP level up to 500hp. But I'm really trying to not do that with this car, I want it to be a tame, smooth, a nice driving car that can pass easily when needed, work well in the hills, and cruise while getting 22-26 mpg.

I still haven't nailed down which dual exhaust to get to mate up to the OEM Vette LS1 manifolds, I may have to go with the Black Heart headers, but I was hoping to retain all of the stock parts from the LS1 drop out.

I was happy to see your post because I haven't found too many Grand Prix threads.

Reactions: 1 user

GR8ONE68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2015
Also subscribing. Being this is my first G Body swap, I will be watching your thread for tips.

My grandfather left me a 1985 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.8l. I was going to sell it but it's actually a really nice car to drive to the store or when I need to drive comfortably somewhere, it's easy to jump in and go. After driving a few months I noticed other people taking notice of the car and giving thumbs up as they would drive by. I have had/have a lot high HP cars ranging from 500-1040hp (Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, CTS-V, Twin Turbo C5, C7Z Maggie 2650, C8 Z51, Telsa Plaid etc.) so I'm used to having fast cars on the street, strip, and track. Being that I'm looking to have a nice daily driving G Body with more hp, I started looking into swapping in a V8. I have a newly rebuilt '69 327 w/TH350 in the garage, it would have been a straightforward swap into the Grand Prix, but at the end of day it would still be a SBC that got 10-12 mpg making 285-300hp. My hp goal is between 350-400, while getting over 18 mpg, I looked into buying SBC heads (TFS, AFR), cam, Holley EFI intake to increase the hp to 350-385 and get maybe 15-16 mpg...but it ended up coming out to around $5k for those mods.

I then looked at doing an LS swap specifically LS3 or an LT (I still have the stock LT4 supercharger from by C7Z), but while researching and planning I came across an '04 LS1 (Vette) with 50K miles on it (complete drop out w/harness, ECM, TAC/Pedal) for $3500. Any LS1 past 11/2001 had the newer style (LS6) block and intake. The '04 Vette LS1 is rated at 350/350 hp/tq and is all aluminum, so it weighs (450lbs) which is about the same as the Iron 3.8l motor (500lbs), and it's good for about 22-26 mpg while cruising on the freeway. At 450lbs I can keep the OEM ride (stock suspension) and maybe will just replace the shocks and upgrade the rear brakes.

So far I have picked up the following Holley Swap parts:
Pan, Crossmember, Mounts (motor, frame, and clam shell), OEM tank EFI Fuel Pump (return on pump).
I still need to pick up a 4L60e, LT1 F Body Radiator w/support, and ICT Mini Air Con Pump so I can retain the AC in the car. I contemplated the ICT or Dirty Dingo AC high mount relocation, but my friend owns A&A Corvette and I'm sure will make me a great deal on one his C5 Vette Supercharger Kits should I ever decide to move the HP level up to 500hp. But I'm really trying to not do that with this car, I want it to be a tame, smooth, a nice driving car that can pass easily when needed, work well in the hills, and cruise while getting 22-26 mpg.

I still haven't nailed down which dual exhaust to get to mate up to the OEM Vette LS1 manifolds, I may have to go with the Black Heart headers, but I was hoping to retain all of the stock parts from the LS1 drop out.

I was happy to see your post because I haven't found too many Grand Prix threads.
Shinobi, I should be watching your thread, you're way ahead of me. Good luck, it sounds like you have thought this through, like I'm trying to do. I want my plan set before I move forward with anything. If this plan goes like most of my plans, it'll change 10 times before I settle on one. But that's OK, it just means that I'm learning more about the LS and its capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor