Stroker Olds or Cadi Swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The good, they produce big numbers with the right work. The bad, the guy behind them is a thief and a liar. Kind of like the whole Bulldog fiasco. All typical for the Olds performance world. There are billet cores available that can flow big air, into the 400 cfm range if done up right. There is also Batten heads and the Rocket Racing heads as well.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Woah - too much drama. Nevermind. Just put an LS in it.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The budget is the big thing. What does it cost these days to cut the counter weights and rebalance a 425 crank? Too bad Olds didn't add more head bolts like their 4.3 V6 diesel. Stroking it in diesel form would basically turn it into a 6.2 or 6.5 without boost capability.

Carson L W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
Honestly I'm gonna start looking for both the 425 crank and a 500 motor. Where I live the boneyards don't get picked over for that stuff and I could get lucky. I have connections to do the machine work, maybe not for the crank but for just about anything else. Custom pistons? Rods? no big deal. That'll save me money. I could deck heads and match ports, valve jobs etc too. If I did get the 500 I'd want to rebalance the crank on it as well, so that expense comes with either option. I don't have a set budget, just however much I can save up this summer building fences, maybe 3 grand this year? Just for the engine.

Carson L W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
The dx block would hold up better I feel like if I raced it a lot. And sometimes you gotta do something just to say you did. If I found a decent BBO then I might, but either way I'd have to rebuild it.

Reactions: 1 user

iains

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2019
What rods and pistons would I use with a 425 crank? and whats the difference between the 425 crank and the 455? If I did stroke the block I have, I'd want at least 400 cubes. what crank would get me closer to that ball park? Also, what to do about the gap left by the injector pump on the DX block? On the other hand I could pick a Cadi motor up for $300 bucks, then all the new parts, but I don't know how to get any more performance out of a 500. And then all the extra weight...
I have a mild 500 Cad. The engine is slightly heavier than a SBC, has a high nickel content, is very well made in terms of tight tolerances etc. The valvetrain needs to be swapped for parts that can tolerate more than 4800 rpm😜, the intake is complete rubbish, and if you have the budget, buy the aluminum heads from MTS.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor