Stroking G-Body Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
At top dead center, if the crank stroke is longer, the stock rod and piston stick up that much higher. Odds are good you run into an open valve. Need corresponding pistons with the wrist pin location moved up to match.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you are going to keep the Gen 1 engine, start with a 1987+ roller cam block, and use Vortec iron heads. Summit sells a prepped block, and you can put in a cast stroker crank and matching pistons - the pan rails have already been relieved. Although you will now need a Vortec intake and may need a ‘melonized’ distributor gear if you choose a steel cam, the rods and tin swap from your 305. I think the Summit block is drilled for a fuel pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
At top dead center, if the crank stroke is longer, the stock rod and piston stick up that much higher. Odds are good you run into an open valve. Need corresponding pistons with the wrist pin location moved up to match.
Most likely the Pistons would come out of the bore enough to hit the heads, you can't just throw in a stroker crank without matching the rest of the rotating assembly to it, one of the reasons they sell kits to avoid mismatching of parts

Reactions: 4 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
The stroke/displacement is only part of the issue with smog motors. The other is the heads, cam and exhaust.

The reason, imo, that the LS platform is taking over is not because of cubic inches, but rather head flow. Making 400 hp with a 325 ci LS is easy. Throw in the bonus of a full 4 bolt main setup with buttress bolts.For a NA build, maybe you can make some headway, and many people including people here are extremely happy with a 400 hp motor that is driveable.But at the end of the day,‘stroking’ a motor isn’t worth Bo Diddly with a stock head and cam.

Thanks for the response. I agree with everything you say, when looking at it from your point of view. However, there are some arguments for my point of view. At 18, living on my own, with a minimum wage job and living on the couch in a friends apartment, I rebuilt my first engine and reused almost every part (bearings, oil pump, rings, etc.). I blew a head gasket (from age not abuse) and had to save for over a month to buy the few parts I had to have to do the repair. The point is that finance is a key factor in what people will do to improve their rides. What I am working on is a way to improve power for (by comparison) a much smaller initial investment in the engine you have, while also creating the opportunity to upgrade your present engine with power making parts, that you can save for and add over time. Many people have to trade their own time and effort for the financial savings that provides.

There are also a lot of older guys, like myself, who prefer the dependability and ease of operation you get from a non-ECM ride. The flow potential of aftermarket heads helps close the technology gap with an LS and most of the older blocks make up for some to the rest by more cubes. Do you not think that an Olds 350 or sbc 350 can't make enough power to satisfy the average enthusiast?

What I am working towards, is the ability to provide an affordable building block to make power for the guy who wishes he could have more but just can't afford it. By the way, if I end up where I want with my design and research work, this process will also work on an LS.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
It just doesn't make sense. Why would you go through the disassembly of a 305 or 307 when you can just transfer accessories to a 350 (or 403)?

What if all you have is a 305 or 307. And I already said that you could buy a low compression 350 and do this and swap out the 305/307

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
If you are going to keep the Gen 1 engine, start with a 1987+ roller cam block, and use Vortec iron heads. Summit sells a prepped block, and you can put in a cast stroker cam, the pan rails have already been relieved. Although you will now need a Vortec intake and may need a ‘melonized’ distributor gear if you choose a steel cam, everything else swaps from your 305. I think the Summit block is drilled for a fuel pump.

The problem with your post is that house, wife, kids, bills, usually come before hot rod. What I am proposing is a way to get started making power affordably.

Last edited:

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I have no claim to being an engine stroker expert.
But,I dont think that stock pistons and connecting rods could be used with an increased stroke crankshaft.
I believe that either piston pin height or rod length would need to be changed to accommodate a longer stroke crank and to properly locate the piston top in the block for the desired deck height clearance at Top Dead Center.
Just my thoughts.
Guy

Not in the accepted way of stroking. My approach is completely different.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Best "quick" solution I could think of:

Oh wait... that isn't even close to how silly this proposed concept is. An engine is an air pump, it doesn't matter how much displacement it has if it cannot flow air in and out efficiently.
If you are going to keep the Gen 1 engine, start with a 1987+ roller cam block, and use Vortec iron heads. Summit sells a prepped block, and you can put in a cast stroker cam, the pan rails have already been relieved. Although you will now need a Vortec intake and may need a ‘melonized’ distributor gear if you choose a steel cam, everything else swaps from your 305. I think the Summit block is drilled for a fuel pump.

Why is it silly? Take a standard low compression sbc 350, stroke it. More power but heads, carb, exhaust, 2 bbl carb, etc all keep it from making better power. So, as you get the money, change the limiting parts. Except for the stroking, that's the silly concept that has been used since hot-rodding began.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011

Are you gonna send me the money to buy this stuff? Did you have enough money to do as you say when you first started? I didn't and neither did most of the guys on this forum.
It's not the size of the wand but the magic in it.

Absolutely true. I have been hot rodding since I can remember and at my job, one of my functions was to design equipment. I was good enough to get patented more than once. I'm pretty sure that this is going to work.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor