Stroking G-Body Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
What are you proposing then? Building a 'stroker' implies swapping the crank.

I understand the budgetary concepts of every build. You're killing your time and effort with this - truly and non-sarcastically. The easiest and cheapest way to make a smog motor perform not like a smog motor is turbo. If your motor runs correctly, then a simple turbo setup in the 6-9 psi range will increase performance without hurting driveability for less than a $1000.

Sure a turbo can be had for under $1000 but the exhaust plumbing intercooler, wastegate ain't free. If you do go turbo, how much more power would you make if the engine were stroked?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

I understand the budgetary concepts of every build. You're killing your time and effort with this - truly and non-sarcastically. The easiest and cheapest way to make a smog motor perform not like a smog motor is turbo. If your motor runs correctly, then a simple turbo setup in the 6-9 psi range will increase performance without hurting driveability for less than a $1000.

I am really leaning toward putting a centrifugal on Natasha's Camaro and forgoing the whole LS-swap *ss pain, and make the 305 think it is a 400.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
You guys obviously don't remember what it was like to look through the Summit catalogue and dream of when you could afford to buy some of what was in it. I do.

Yeah, no clue whatsoever:

Don't let the Hellcat fool you, son - I've been making something out of nothing since before your balls dropped.

• Haha

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011

[/QUOT

Please,inquiring minds would like to know how you propose to do this ??
Guy

Do you know that of all the comments so far, you are the only person to ask how it would be done?
I can't say yet but it would require having an already available (Buy your own from whomever you want) crank and then adding an affordable kit.
People hear the word stroker and it conjures up images of pulling the front wheel at launch, or smoking the tires all the way down the track. That only happens if add in a whole lot of other expensive parts. I'm talking about taking you everyday grocery getter and if you plan on building power with it, starting buy adding some stroke and a few cubic inches to the mix. Even crappy heads, sh*t air intakes and restrictive exhaust would run better.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, no clue whatsoever:

Don't let the Hellcat fool you, son - I've been making something out of nothing since before your balls dropped.

Unless you were born in the 40s, my balls hang at least as low as yours.
Say anything you want but be careful how you say it.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The money it takes to get that 15 or 20 HP isn't worth it. I'm probably older than you cause JC Whitney was my catalog

• Haha

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well if you're saying you can use your stock rods and pistons then my guess would be that this would have to be a precision machined crankshaft support girdle that bolts to the bottom of the block to lower the crank

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well if you're saying you can use your stock rods and pistons then my guess would be that this would have to be a precision machined crankshaft support girdle that bolts to the bottom of the block to lower the crank
Then, the rods are too short.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Do you know that of all the comments so far, you are the only person to ask how it would be done?
I can't say yet but it would require having an already available (Buy your own from whomever you want) crank and then adding an affordable kit.

People hear the word stroker and it conjures up images of pulling the front wheel at launch, or smoking the tires all the way down the track. That only happens if add in a whole lot of other expensive parts. I'm talking about taking you everyday grocery getter and if you plan on building power with it, starting buy adding some stroke and a few cubic inches to the mix. Even crappy heads, sh*t air intakes and restrictive exhaust would run better.

I've been following the posts & waiting/wondering when we were going to get the 'detail' about this stroker concept. Then, I see the "can't say yet" part & feel like I clicked one of those 'bait' images on the MSN homepage that reels you in & you have to read/advance through 40pgs of text to get info that could have been posted to one simple page.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 9 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Sure a turbo can be had for under $1000 but the exhaust plumbing intercooler, wastegate ain't free. If you do go turbo, how much more power would you make if the engine were stroked?

No, not just the turbo, the whole gig - headers, plumbing, BOV, WG and turbo. You mentioned earlier that you know carbs, so you must be able to modify the carb to become a blow through - blow through implies no intercooler needed.

Personally, I can't man handle the carb, but I've considered buying a CSU for $800. But at less than 10 psi, a stock Edelbrock, Rochester 2 barrel or small Holley is easy to handle a small amount of boost.

To answer the question of how much power can you add? 9 psi will add more than 50% of the original power. So a 180 HP motor will make about 270. But here's the deal, once you get the additional 90 hp and can tune the carb to keep it together, then another 15 psi on top of the 9 or so will start yielding crazy numbers. And the only thing needed will be a WG spring.

Personally, I wouldn't dick around with anything other than a set of headers for an additional 20hp. Please don't take my comments the wrong way, I'm not trying to pee on your party here, but YIKES, are you headed down a rabbit hole that leads to a ses pool. Look at it this way, there a bunches of guys making 300hp with an inline 250 from late 60'sand early 70's with 14 psi of boost - everything stock other than adding a 2 barrel Holley or Rochester carb.

Reinventing the wheel is great thing................................................just kidding lol. Kidding aside, I'll repeat, if you can handle the carb work, then build a blow through. If you would like a list of parts for a mild build, then let me know and I'll post links to the parts.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor