Stroking G-Body Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I've been following the posts & waiting/wondering when we were going to get the 'detail' about this stroker concept. Then, I see the "can't say yet" part & feel like I clicked one of those 'bait' images on the MSN homepage that reels you in & you have to read/advance through 40pgs of text to get info that could have been posted to one simple page.

OK. I posted to see if I could get comments about this from people who know about what it takes to improve the performance and appearance of older cars.
It would seem that the idea is not getting much traction. I will be performing this mod on a low compression, open chamber sbc 350 I have in storage.
Once I finish the mod and apply for a patent, I will bring it up again.
In the meantime, thanks for your comments and opinions.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
No, not just the turbo, the whole gig - headers, plumbing, BOV, WG and turbo. You mentioned earlier that you know carbs, so you must be able to modify the carb to become a blow through - blow through implies no intercooler needed.

Personally, I can't man handle the carb, but I've considered buying a CSU for $800. But at less than 10 psi, a stock Edelbrock, Rochester 2 barrel or small Holley is easy to handle a small amount of boost.

To answer the question of how much power can you add? 9 psi will add more than 50% of the original power. So a 180 HP motor will make about 270. But here's the deal, once you get the additional 90 hp and can tune the carb to keep it together, then another 15 psi on top of the 9 or so will start yielding crazy numbers. And the only thing needed will be a WG spring.

Personally, I wouldn't dick around with anything other than a set of headers for an additional 20hp. Please don't take my comments the wrong way, I'm not trying to pee on your party here, but YIKES, are you headed down a rabbit hole that leads to a ses pool. Look at it this way, there a bunches of guys making 300hp with an inline 250 from late 60'sand early 70's with psi of boost - everything stock other than adding a 2 barrel Holley or Rochester carb.

Reinventing the wheel is great thing................................................just kidding lol. Kidding aside, I'll repeat, if you can handle the carb work, then build a blow through. If you would like a list of parts for a mild build, then let me know and I'll post links to the parts.

Thanks for the comment.

Reactions: 1 user

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I will take one only if its backed Buy a manufacturers lifetime warranty and hundred percent moneyback guarantee

• Haha

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I can't say yet but it would require having an already available (Buy your own from whomever you want) crank and then adding an affordable kit.
So this isn't really going to be for all Gbody engines since the engine itself requires enough aftermarket support to actually have an affordable stroker crank available.

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I was in on the idea you know for 229's,231's V6 and maybe 283's,305's and 307's but now your going sbc 350 and you can do just about anything with those, but I'd like the clean old lady car look with a little get up n go and sometimes while not going full replacement, my little 229 in my 81 monte carlo was nice for going A to B in town didn't need 300hp to only be going 35 tops most places, my 79 monte too it had the Buick 231

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It can be done with an Olds 260 and 307, using original rods, which are a super soft forged rod is out and it is a good thing. The 4" stroke Billet 5140 or 4340 crank is set up for aftermarket sbc or LS rods. The 350 kits are around $2500, pretty sure 260 or 307 sized pistons could be added for slightly more. Now a solid main 75-76 260 block bored .100 over with the 4" stroke gives about 318ci. It would be the equivalent to the less than loved, severely undersquare 68-69 400G motor. Olds on their small block increased size by bore only. This makes the smaller motors very under square with the 4" stroker crank. Until this new crank came out, the 330 steel crank was offset ground with either a small journal sbc, 3.5" or Honda size rod for a 3.6" stroke. I am using the 3.5" stroke in a 403 for 424ci. With the new 4" stroke crank there is a 478ci girdled 403 stroker with over 600 hp. Pretty good for a flimsy, hated smog motor.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Sure a turbo can be had for under $1000 but the exhaust plumbing intercooler, wastegate ain't free. If you do go turbo, how much more power would you make if the engine were stroked?

No a turbo for a stock size small block give or take is only $179 with free shipping and can EASILY support 600hp on E85. Add in the extras, BOV, intercooler, piping, etc and you're less 1k.

Lots of ideas come around. The number that get brought to fruition is 1,000,000 times less though. Hope it all works out for you but I would be flabergasted if you could prove you even applied for a patent,, let alone got one. Best of luck. Shawn

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Unless you were born in the 40s, my balls hang at least as low as yours.
Say anything you want but be careful how you say it.

If you are taking me seriously you must either be new here or live under a rock.

My point is you aren't being objective enough. Your "plan" is charged with emotion and it isn't passing the critical thinking stink test. No one is trying to discourage you; we just see the rapidly diminishing returns in your proposal.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I own a car with a very tired 267, WTF would I spend any time/effort/$$$ on a 267? So I could stroke it to a 305? Roller Vortec 350 cores are plentiful and cheap, even for a working man with a family, and would run circles around a stroked 267 with stock heads.

I just don't see the value in the concept (ESPECIALLY for Chevrolets), but I have been called "old school minded" a time or two.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor