Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2007
"oh it's just a G-body"

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

chevy76monteman

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2006
Portland, Oregon, USA
I've had several of these with my 76 Monte Carlo. Can't remember them all.

-One guy that irritated the hell out of me though was this older guy that use to frequent a coffee shop that I hung out at with some friends. He tried telling me how my engine wasn't getting 300 horsepower because I got 15mpg in town and 19 on the hwy (had a stock diff w/ 2.73s at the time). Tried telling me my car weighed over 5000-pounds when the stock curb weight was 4029 pounds. I was on my way home and driving normally and he had his new import car whatever it was. We were both at the light, I wasn't even racing him and he guns it while I took off like a normal person. He did the same thing the same night with my friends 95 Impala SS and the next time I saw him he was like "see you don't have 300 horsepower. I even walked away from your friend." I was like "we weren't even racing man." He was a Mr. Know It All no matter what you said.

-In August I took my car to Total Car Care to have my U-Joints done because I didn't have time to do it myself and they needed to get done because she was vibrating pretty good. The guy said they needed to drop my exhaust to get my driveshaft out and then about 10 minutes later said they couldn't even get it out. Luckily I didn't have to pay for anything. Last month at a Portland Club Grand Prix mod day, I got my car on a member's lift and within 2 minutes had the driveshaft out w/o having to mess with the exhaust. U-joints were done in 30 minutes and the shaft was back in in under 2. Makes you wonder about some of these so called "professional mechanics."

-When I was at work (I pump gas. Oregon has a self serve ban for those who don't know) a customer asked me if my car was a Ford.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
^^ I love that '76 style. I was looking at a nice '77 by me. Blue.

Either people love or hate the G bodies. I love them. They're great looking, very classy cars. Very ahead of their time. Like, look at lamost anyo ther manufacturer at the time. Terrible looking vehicles. Then you had classics like the Regal GN, Monte SS, 442 and Hurst/Olds. Hell yeah. Of course you then have the luxury side like the Grand Prix and the Regal Limited. Monte Carlos were great. Period. Every American family had a G body at one time. lol. Period. My dad had a Regal. Man, wish he had that still. The neat 2 tone grey with the big Buick logo on the rear quarters. lol. My dad also looked into a Monte aerocoupe. But I kinda thought those were ugly. lol.

I just hate it when people bash the G body. They were rad cars. My girlfriend hated the GP when I got it. But now that I started working on it, she's seeing the light. She actually loves Monte SS's. She'd like to have a black one.

8)

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
This has to be the dumbest thing I ever heard. Yesterday I went to a local small engine repair shop to get a piece of roller chain for a sweeper atttachment for my tractor. I had my el camino parked out front and was inside waiting for the guy to cut a piece of chain to size when one of the owners calls another guy to the front of the store and says " Hey, did you see what this guy's driving?" Other guy says "What is it, a pickup?" First guy says 'No, its a car someone made into a pick up!"

I said 'Yeah that "someone" was GM and they made 'em for about 30 years!"

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
you should have told them you built it yourself and it was for sale for $45,000. ha ha :lol:

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I used to have a truck book that the author took a AMC Pacer and made it into an Elcamino look alike. He used a Chevy Luv cab back turned inside out for the rear window part. It was the sweetest looking truck/car next to an Elky that I have ever seen. It was painted yellow with rubbed laquer flames, *ss was jacked with sprint type mags. That comment just reminded me of that car.

BB Olds

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2007
Wi.
my favorit "is that a 350" my responce yep.
my favorit thang to do at the parts store is to ask for a radiator for a 74 VW bug. and they look for ever to most of the time.

tmaj1865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2006
Ocala Florida
My wife call my 87 442 "The Mullet Mobile" She just wishes I had enough hair for a mullet! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor