Stupid GBody Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
for the el camino crew, isnt it lovely always hearing 'is that a ranchero?' or my fave......'what IS that?'

better story though, i got pulled over two summers ago in my camino. i was taking the previous owner for a ride to show him what i did with the car (4 gear and such), we just got done doing a full throttoe run and were creeping through the local university campus 'bird watching' (like a primered el camino will get any good looks lol). anyhow, i roll by a cruiser at the lights, i am not speeding, driving erratically, yelling out the window, flashing lights or anything that is supposed to get you pulled over. i was however, 'well liked' by the officer, and i was also driving a beautifully primered car with big tires on the rear, a lumpy cam, and a trip permit. so naturally he pulls me over and proceeds to hassle me. no problem, i am used to it. then the other three cruisers show up (see: well liked by the police, above) no problem there either. but then the one cop says 'it looks like your vin is just sitting there', i say 'what?', he repeats the vin line and explains that it looks like the serial number is 'just slid in overtop of the original'. i get out and say 'give me your flashlight' as i rip it out of his hand (they love it when you take control hahaha) i look and theres nothing unusual about my tag. 'what are you talking about? its supposed to sit like that' then i proceed to explain that g body tags are L shaped and the rivets are on the other sifde of the tag where you cannot see them. here comes the best part......he goes 'OH, well lets look at this tag', and starts to walk towards the cruiser. i say thats not gonna work cause my car is an '81 and his cruiser is a 2005, then i state that to top it off my car is a GM and his is a ford so the vins have never even been close to the same.....ever.
so i go back to my car and he goes to talk with the other cop and i over hear them talking, 'well he doesnt have any lights, we can get him for that'
now, what he meant by that is there was no tail lights on the back of my car (you know, like a chevy truck....) but for some reason he never thought to look at my bumper. and these are our tax dollars at work..........

"whats that weigh like 8,000 pounds?" the kid was totally serious

had another parts guy tell me that cutlass' were only made in the 60s :lol:

oh my favorite is the people at my school who think they know cars. so i pull up in the the good old monte and i hear "nice car, what is that ? about a 75? my uncle used to have one in that year." so i just smiled and said yea. i mean he was close, only off by 13 yrs.

I've come to the habit of saying I have an El Camino because it's gotten annoying having to explain what a Caballero is. I've had guys at part stores not know!

I needed a new headlight a couple of times.I have a '79. they always bring me a light for an '82-'87! They argue it's what the computer says. I always have to show them my car sitting outside for them to get the point.

Oh, and this is more of an insult than stupidity, but i had a guy at a hot rod shop tell me " Why are you restoring that? It's not worth anything" First of all it's worth something to ME! and second not everybody wants to own a car they're afraid to drive!

I always get proposals too :? Why would I wanna marry someone working at an auto zone!!!!

Isn't it a joke how many people work at auto parts store that no absolutley JACK $HIT about cars. When I was doing my SBC swap into my '82 Cutlass I went into an auto parts store asking for a Chevy small block thermostat housing gasket. Holy crap you'd have thought I asked for a muffler belt!! The goof asked what car it was & what year. Told him it was a Cutlass. He said, & I quote " that don't have no Chevy in it, that has an Olds" I said actually the 3.8L that WAS in it was a Buick engine. next came deer in headlight look, I asked do you guys have the gasket I need, numb nuts proceeds to tell me since this is something custom he can't look up the part #. Now I'm getting irritated. O.K. I say, let's say I have a 1978 Chevy Monte Carlo with the damn 305 V-8, got a thermostat gasket for that!!!! Dumb,dumb types in the year & engine for a '78 monte w/ the V-8, sure enough they have the gasket. Cool, I say I'll take one. Genius says, "Thought you says you had a 350 in your Cutlass, this gasket is for a 305, it may or may not fit" I said I'll take my chances. :roll:

what is wrong with marrying a dude from autozone? okay you are right it's not a good thing. I always hate going to the parts store because I have to tell them three times what I have. second i have to tell them it's considered a truck. then I have to tell them I've ripped all the pollution crap out. I only go on Mondays thru Wednesday and use the same guy. It just makes it easier.

The key to getting parts if you dont have the factory setup. You'll need to go in and give them the application of what you need, not the car you have. It all about tricking them into giving you what you want. I've also found that there are good parts guys you just have to go to better stores, and usually the smarter ones work during the day, the evening shifts are for the high school chicks that want a paycheck.

when i built my malibu i put a 97 vortec 350 in a 79 malibu, imagine the explaining i had to do when i needed a part! i finally started the conversations with 'yea, i;m building a mutt, theres parts from a 79 all the way to 1997 so i will just tell you what i need and what year i want it from'

near the end i pretty much ran the computers myself looking for the parts. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor