Subframe Graft

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So either way it's probably better to build another frame and body swap it sense I'll be replacing everything under the sheet metal anyway?

or you can use the Camaro platform, remove the body and put the El Camino body on it. I think the wheelbase is just about the same...

and while your thinking about that most usually introduce themselves before asking a bunch of questions

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So either way it's probably better to build another frame and body swap it sense I'll be replacing everything under the sheet metal anyway?
I would say so, if you can find a nice frame to start working on you can weld in reinforcements, do a frame notch and easily do body mount repairs if needed and get all your suspension and brake upgrades done prior to putting the body on.

ObsidianScareCrow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2017
or you can use the Camaro platform, remove the body and put the El Camino body on it. I think the wheelbase is just about the same...

and while your thinking about that most usually introduce themselves before asking a bunch of questions

Well I was thinking custom subframe connectors there is a difference in wheelbase, have the original drive shaft adapted and strengthened. And then I would probably need to replace the break lines and such if there's not enough slack. As for the exhaust I was going to run zoomies or a derby style exhaust just shortened to taste.

Yeah your right I'll add an intro when I get another chance.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
or you can use the Camaro platform, remove the body and put the El Camino body on it. I think the wheelbase is just about the same
I am assuming you are kidding since it shows the 1981 El Camino at 117.1 wheelbase to the 2000 Camaro at 101.1, probably only a slight modification to make it work.;)

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

ObsidianScareCrow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2017
I am assuming you are kidding since it shows the 1981 El Camino at 117.1 wheelbase to the 2000 Camaro at 101.1, probably only a slight modification to make it work.;)

I did say custom subframe connectors in my defense can't 565bbcchevy tho lol

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sigh. Just because you have spare parts doesn't mean you have to use them. It's been mentioned a couple times already but I'll reapeat it again. Gbodys already have a lot of aftermarket support and proven upgrades. No need to reinvent the wheel here. You'll likely be disappointed with the results.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The 2000 Camaro does not have a sub frame, they are a unibody with a K member

37413d1501326870-what-k-member-img_2605small.jpg

Exactly. The struts and upper control arms would attach to air on a G-body. It would make for a pretty low front end, however.

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Blazer spindles are $75/pr at almost every junkyard. Just the raw metal alone to adapt 4th gen suspension to a G-body frame would be Hundreds of $ without 100's of hours of fabrication required to make it work.

If you don't have money to buy parts, don't tear cars apart and try to build cobbled frankensteins, because that costs way more in the long run.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Blazer spindles are $75/pr at almost every junkyard. Just the raw metal alone to adapt 4th gen suspension to a G-body frame would be Hundreds of $ without 100's of hours of fabrication required to make it work.

If you don't have money to buy parts, don't tear cars apart and try to build cobbled frankensteins, because that costs way more in the long run.

he could sell or part out the camaro to use that money in the El Camino

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Word. Plus, it ruins cars.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor