Summit/G-Force/M&M Crossmember hitting floorpan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Blake442 said:
No need to bash the floor pan for clearance.

Just use a floor jack with a piece of wood on it to push it up a bit. The crossmember will slide right in.

There was no way that G-force was going to fit in my car. It was just way too high. Maybe the Jegster one might have, buy my stocker fits better than either one could ever hope to so I'm happy.

And of course someone was going to mention 'but hey, mine fit perfect!'. Well that's great, but there are lots of other people who've had that same issues with these things not fitting too...just as there are plenty who've had them fit great.

If there was like only 1 or 2 guys that couldn't get a G-force to fit in their junker cars, then maybe one could make the case it must be because there's a problem with their cars because they're cobbled together pieces of crap, but when there are many who have been vocal about these things not fitting their ( non-junker ) cars, then you gotta start pointing the finger at the crossmember, not the car.

It's just like buying cheap headers. For every set that 'fits like a glove', there are just as many that 'fit only with using a hammer' and even some that 'won't fit at all', so that tells me there's a problem with the design and/or quality control with said product. IMO, the two channels on the G-force crossmember sit two high. If they weren't so high, they'd probably fit on EVERY G-body and would still have tons of room for whatever exhaust you're running to fit.

P.S. My friend has multiple G-bodys. He has a G-force that fit perfectly on his 83 Hurst Olds and one that wouldn't fit on his 87 442.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Peter said:
get a tubular iceman crossmember. no fitment issues, tubular and cheaper

On the contrary, I have heard several complaints about the iceman not fitting right, specifically in a Cutlass. I just got a reply from Rick yesterday via email; $169 for crossmember, $40 for shipping. M&M is $221 and Summit is $224, shipped.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Installed Gforce with a TH3500 and the fitment was snug but the overall quality of the product was good and the fitment was great. It alllowed me to do a picture perfect Pypes true dual exhaust system.

Attachments

• P9130017.JPG
    P9130017.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 1,227
  • P9130013.JPG
    P9130013.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 1,210
  • P9130019.JPG
    P9130019.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 1,216

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
I'm thinking my exhaust is going to look a lot like yours tobyp. Although I'm considering the M&M because it's lighter, not trying to shave weight just makin it easier on my back.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
moose said:
I'm thinking my exhaust is going to look a lot like yours tobyp. Although I'm considering the M&M because it's lighter, not trying to shave weight just makin it easier on my back.

You know it wasnt that heavy, just place the drivers side in and slide the pass side in, took seconds, literally. The pypes system was a nice setup that was able to be installed by myself on my back in about 2 hours.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Any of you guys ever try the Jeg's crossmember?

I got one in my 454 4 speed El Camino and now one in my beater Regal project.
I couldn't get the rubber isolators back in, but, it fits good, not too heavy(less than the G-force in my Malibu), plenty strong...

http://www.jegs.com/p/Jegster/Jegster-D ... 1/10002/-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor