Summit/G-Force/M&M Crossmember hitting floorpan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Anyone here ever run into this problem with a cutlass? Have read/heard that some people with gbodies experience one side hitting the floor. It fits, just touches when it shouldn't. One blog stated that the problem didn't arise until new Energy body bushings were installed.
Also, is there any difference between the M&M crossmember and the current Summit/GForce?
M&M website states they reduced the weight to 18lbs from the early GForce 30lbs. How heavy are the current production Summit/GF?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I've heard that old squished body bushings will cause that issue. Not sure about your other question.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
If it touches beat the floorpan in a little bit. The crossmember is a beast it's pretty bulky.

Geed_up_442

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
A squished body bushing makes sense. I had that problem, nothing too serious though. When i was installing my (M&M) cross member it was butting up against the aluminum pan under the passenger seat. But it only took a pry bar to allow enough room to slide the crossmember back.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
get a tubular iceman crossmember. no fitment issues, tubular and cheaper

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
IMO, if something as simple as a crossmember can't be made to fit without bashing something on your car with a hammer, it's a crap part. The people making these things should take into account 95% of the cars these things will be installed in don't have brand new body mounts.

Over the years I tried a G-force on my car and it wasn't even close to fitting. Not going to bash a perfect floorboard to get that over weight POS to fit so I returned it. Tried a Jegster crossmember recently too and the same thing ( but better than the G-force ). Best solution IMO is to notch the factory crossmember. That way you know it actually fits and doesn't weigh a ton either.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
DoubleV said:
Best solution IMO is to notch the factory crossmember. That way you know it actually fits and doesn't weigh a ton either.

Yeah I am looking for a stocker for a 2004r now after trying a ice man, does not fit my wagon too well too much space between the pan and the member so trans sits low tilting the front of the motor up and causes the exhaust to sit lower also, but finding one in HI is hard.

Wade

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I installed my G-force cross member back in 2002 with no problems, fit like a glove!Your car must be sagging or something. As far as being heavy or bulky, it actually reinforces the frame and stiffens it up and 30 lbs is not going to make your car go slower, the lack of horsepower will though. Weight only matters if you are racing it and are trying to shave of a half of a second off of your time. I like the thickness and strength of it, it made me feel like I got my money's worth and it supports my heavy TH400 very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor