Supreme Speed Salon (87 T Top Salon build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
It 227/241 duration Comp Cams Thumper hydraulic flat tappet, I believe. Probably the tight LSA is hurting idle quality and vacuum.
View attachment 193553
Thanks bro but I thought it was a roller cam with a roller kit, but after looking at the cam card I see tappet. It does have the roller rockers and lifters. I'm not gonna play with it, and just go ahead and put in a better system. I did not know I would run into this issue, but it's no problem, I just want a strong built Olds, to pass down in my family. It will be one of my legacies for my family. I just hope the family appreciates it as much as I do. It's also a dedication build to my wife's nephew that passed away in 2022.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
I guess that duration, especially exhaust, may be a bit much for street use. But I also think a vaccum canister would suffice. Especially since hydro is $$$
You think a canister alone or would I need to go ahead and add a vaccum pump with it. Or would the canister alone be plenty?

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
You think a canister alone or would I need to go ahead and add a vaccum pump with it. Or would the canister alone be plenty?
As long as your master cylinder is good i would try vac canister. 30 dollars or so compared to 3000 for hydro boost. I don't think that cam is that radical at all. Jmho
I have run canisters in past with good results.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Thanks bro but I thought it was a roller cam with a roller kit, but after looking at the cam card I see tappet. It does have the roller rockers and lifters. I'm not gonna play with it, and just go ahead and put in a better system. I did not know I would run into this issue, but it's no problem, I just want a strong built Olds, to pass down in my family. It will be one of my legacies for my family. I just hope the family appreciates it as much as I do. It's also a dedication build to my wife's nephew that passed away in 2022.
It should be really nice, yes that is a roller cam, looked at Comp's site, my bad. Get a vacuum gauge and an advance timing light, if you don't have one. What rpm is the idle set at? I usually like a 1000+ in park, not the stock 700 rpm. Also make sure there is plenty of base timing. Most factory Olds HEI call for 20 degrees at 1100 rpm. Also you can try ported and manifold vacuum for the vacuum advance. With that cam and around 9 to 1 with Edelbrock's heads better combustion chamber that this 350 has, it will probably like and tolerate a lot of part throttle timing is my bet, which will improve low rpm vacuum. Also set the mixture screws at highest rpm and vacuum. It will take some experimenting but with some tuning it may improve enough that a vacuum canister will hardly be necessary. This Olds 350 should should pull hard, idle to 5500 rpm plus. It should have a wicked idle with a 107 LSA roller cam. Good luck.

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
It should be really nice, yes that is a roller cam, looked at Comp's site, my bad. Get a vacuum gauge and an advance timing light, if you don't have one. What rpm is the idle set at? I usually like a 1000+ in park, not the stock 700 rpm. Also make sure there is plenty of base timing. Most factory Olds HEI call for 20 degrees at 1100 rpm. Also you can try ported and manifold vacuum for the vacuum advance. With that cam and around 9 to 1 with Edelbrock's heads better combustion chamber that this 350 has, it will probably like and tolerate a lot of part throttle timing is my bet, which will improve low rpm vacuum. Also set the mixture screws at highest rpm and vacuum. It will take some experimenting but with some tuning it may improve enough that a vacuum canister will hardly be necessary. This Olds 350 should should pull hard, idle to 5500 rpm plus. It should have a wicked idle with a 107 LSA roller cam. Good luck.
Thank you for your insight and detail on a solution to my problem. As always you are appreciated and thanks again bro. I'm going to the mechanic now and we'll be discussing this before I go forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
Update on Project Olds. Finally got the hydro boost set up. Got everything routed, oiled, primed etc. The cars is great, but I still have a ways to go like, install the exhaust. I've decided to go with 2 3/4 inch duals. I've done some research and found a thread in this forum to help my decision. I purchased a set of Flowmaster 40 series from a member in this forum. I will also be purchasing a 442 dual ram hood. These are my next steps forward, before I go forth with the interior and paint. I will only have to buy headliner and carpet. I bought the interior from, a parted Calais two years ago. The color is a match with my factory interior. I do however need a brake pedal that will work with the hydro boost. Although the brakes are great, the brake pedal is jacked up like in a jeep. Either I find a brake pedal that works, or modify the one I have.
Screenshot_20220629-223405-424.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor