Suspension question

Status
Not open for further replies.

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
so i came across this sh*t just a lil while ago and well my main question is what type of problems would I be facing if i chose to go with this setup? The car looks badass and all but what good is a good lookin car that doesn't handle good, so shoot some possibilities, troubles anything... i'd appreciate it

Attachments

• 608E07A3-17B7-44C7-8482-1204966F0D18.png
    608E07A3-17B7-44C7-8482-1204966F0D18.png
    769.7 KB · Views: 273

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I guess "drivable" is a relative term. I put 100 miles/day on, and can guarantee something would go wrong. If you just want to pimp short rides and crawl over speed bumps, it'll probably be fine.

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
In front it looks like the inner fenders have been removed or worked. The reality is you can't have a "driver" that sits like this without very stiff front springs... like 650 - 700 lb per inch. Stock springs are like 400 lbs per inch. anything less than 600 lbs will likely bottom on large bumps.

245 tires aren't necessarily all that wide and should fit all around on 8.5" rims on a lowered G-body. 245/35's are 26.5" tall which is less than 27 so should not rub the back of the wheel well too much.

• Informative

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
245/35/20 is the same size as a 245/60/15, it will ride stiffer because of the shorter sidewall but will rub no less than the 15", handling should be better by virtue of the stiffer sidewall. What do you want to do with the car? That makes a difference. 3" drop means little to anyone with 180K worn out suspension. Every time I have tried a stated drop on one of my G-bodies it was always taller as the stock stuff was agged out further.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
lowering a g-body that much is never a good idea.you've reduced the amount of suspension travel up front and thrown the rear geometry way off.yes it looks killer but from a drive-ability standpoint it's less than ideal.

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
245/35/20 is the same size as a 245/60/15, it will ride stiffer because of the shorter sidewall but will rub no less than the 15", handling should be better by virtue of the stiffer sidewall. What do you want to do with the car? That makes a difference. 3" drop means little to anyone with 180K worn out suspension. Every time I have tried a stated drop on one of my G-bodies it was always taller as the stock stuff was agged out further.
Well the thing is my regals already dropped 3" from the back but sh*t looks a lil too nasty & for now I'm just trying to find the best way to achieve the look I want which is in the pic up above... either way though I love that flush look that the elco but I mean if it's too much to deal with in the future then I might as well just go wit my other method which is 2" all around but with 20's. The front is the part i'm trying to focus on the most though because it seems like no matter what, the front end is always tilted upwards and well I want the car to be parallel straight 2", maybe even 3" the front but I'd have to **** with some real durable springs and shocks... I'm already takin care of the other stuff such as sway's, jounce bars, bushings etc to help out with extra support. Don't wanna gamble too much with all this though

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
2" drop spindles, tall lower ball joints, Moog springs is the best way aside from coilovers, but will still only get you so low. If you want frame, bag it.

Last edited:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
People always buy huge wheels and then try to make them work. Buy wheels last. Lower the car and get it working with 15X7's before putting 20" wheels on.

Stiffer springs are $60/pair. I would recommend Moog 5660's. 4" Cutoff wheels are $10 with coupon at Harbor Freight. Crack open the front end, install the new springs, bolt it back together, drive it around the block, measure the height, crack it back open.

Use the cut off wheel to take off 90 degrees of spring and repeat until its about 1" higher than as low as you want to go. (if it is at the perfect ride height or lower, pull the springs out, put the springs on craigslist for $30 as "3.5" lowering springs" and buy another set and start over)

Use a pickle fork and 4lb sledge because you are going to throw the balljoints away after you get the ride height set.

For less that $100 you have your ride height, then take it back apart, add new tall ball joints, new shocks, new bushings, ZQ8 bump stops, etc and get it aligned, THEN think about buying big wheels and tires for it.

Last edited:

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Something to keep in mind with springs,the ones you're removing are roughly 30 years old and xxxxxx miles and they have sagged to some extent.you may put a newer spring in it's place and find the car's higher if not the same height after all is said and done.just something to think about when looking at your car with it's current stance

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor