Swapping 1987 442 grill/headlights with 1986?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2016
Long time lurker here, got a question: Is it possible without much modification to swap the grill and headlights/bezel from a 1986 Cutlass into a 1987 442?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Long time lurker here, got a question: Is it possible without much modification to swap the grill and headlights/bezel from a 1986 Cutlass into a 1987 442?
You will need the header panel and i believe the bumper cover for the 86 since the 87-88 has the euro header panel, grills, lights, etc. Other than that everything should bolt up. Not sure about the headlight wiring, I'm sure others will chime in.

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 21, 2016
your right injectedcutty he will also need all the wiring plugs from the 86 and the orange turn signal panels from the 87 bumper to put in where the white panels are in the 86 i know a guy that just did the same thing and it worked great also he may need some bumper shims

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

Short answer. Depends what you mean by not much modification. Without completely replacing the front 9" of the car (excluding the metal bumper itself) no. But, a full change over isn't all that bad.

Longer detailed answer, here's what you preferably want to get from the 1986:

Header panel with grilles, headlights, bezels, front cover, and amber lenses that mount in front cover tabs/fenders, front wiring harness unbolt from fuse block on drivery side. Also, make SURE to get the small metal bracket that bolts to the radiator support and underside center of the header panel, it's different.

You need those lenses for the sides of the front bumper cover. The 87/88 are sealed/non functional, where as the 81-86 are operational for the turn signails - there's no corner lamp otherwise!

Preferably you change the front harness, it's not much work, cleaner, and eliminates chances of shorts. I hate splicing harnesses if you don't need to. No need to swap bumper lamps unless you want to go one color over another, changing to an off year header panel obviously originality is not a concern.

To make life easier on the header panel removal/install for your self a favor and pick up a 12" extension for the ratchet, makes it SOOOO much easier to get the header panel off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor