Swapping to 8.5 rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
When I bought my cutlass the previous owner gave me a rear he said it was a 3.73 posi and nothing else. I thought nothing of it then I came across the rear end identification thread and it turns out its an 8.5 and after running my RPO codes found out I have 2.14 gears. This swap needs to happen lol. What is needed to go from the 7.5 inch rear to the 8.5. Ive been trying to seach but I am not very good with the search option, and I think I remember needing the drive shaft shortened?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
As long as it is a g-body 8.5 then yes all you should need is the driveshaft shortened.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
yes true, i believe its about 1 inch shorter than a 7.5 inch driveshaft. 2.14's huh? boy 3.73s will be a world of difference. Also since you are changing th rear gears, you'll need a new transmission speedo gear, or else the speedometer will be off.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
Considering the 8.5 was from "HI-PO" packages was the drive shaft a larger diameter? Does the shaft from another car like a Firebird or something fit? My junk yard has literally no G Bodies let alone 442s or GN's. Also does anyone have any experience with changing the lower rear control arm and rear axle bushings? Can you just heat the control arms, put the bushings in the freezer, and then beat the bushing in with a hammer and block of wood or am I better off getting them pressed. The lower control arms and sway bar are still on it but its been sitting outside for years and they are pretty dry rotted. Im debating between poly or rubber. I always heard that poly binds on parts that move and pivot but is good for more or less stationary parts like subframe bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor