Switched 12v

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Don't bother going through this needless complexity. Your carbureted engine can run for quite a while just off the fuel in the float bowls. How do I know? Because on more than one occasion I have hopped in my car, started the engine, and driven away... when I forgot to turn on my electric fuel pump (controlled by a hidden switch).
I was describing this for the OP if he was running the pump directly off the fuse panel without an on/off switch so in that case the pump would be on whenever the ignition key is turned on so using the oil pressure switch as the trigger would eliminate the pump running until the engine was actually running since it would start without needing to prime the carb..
Like you I prefer to just turn the pump on with a switch and if you forget the car will remind you some enough plus as you stated it can be used for added security also.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
I was describing this for the OP if he was running the pump directly off the fuse panel without an on/off switch so in that case the pump would be on whenever the ignition key is turned on so using the oil pressure switch as the trigger would eliminate the pump running until the engine was actually running since it would start without needing to prime the carb.

Okay, that makes sense.

In my case, my pump will activate as soon as I key to the ON position, even before I crank the engine. This has not caused me any problems, though.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
You want to do a clean job with no splicing, then run a wire from your ECM connecter by the passenger side kick panel and out the hole in firewall into your engine compartment.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You want to do a clean job with no splicing, then run a wire from your ECM connecter by the passenger side kick panel and out the hole in firewall into your engine compartment.
The only problem with that is a majority of people that are adding electric fuel pumps have most likely already eliminated the ECM and related components.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
That's the point. No computer but all the wiring under the dash is still intact which means you still got a fused 12v source at the end connector that USED to go to the ECM.

Remember, the computer stuff's got 2 main harnesses; one under the dash ( which stays ) and one in the engine compartment ( which is removed but hopefully not just cut because that's butchery.... ).

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That's the point. No computer but all the wiring under the dash is still intact which means you still got a fused 12v source at the end connector that USED to go to the ECM.
I must have mis-read what you were saying to do.
I did remove all of my wiring going to the ECM on my Monte but I agree most people won't go that far.

Last edited:

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
Ecm is gone and the wiring harness for it is completely cut out I think I'm going to run from the ign on the fuse box to a switch then to the relay. I'm using the racetronix hot wire kit so the harness bolts to the alternator, has an in line ruse and goes to the relay

Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Under the dash wiring has all been cut out or just the wiring under the hood?

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I know this is a bit of a hyjac, and I am sorry. Does anyone know where I can tap into for a keied power that is off while starting? My knock gauge needs to be off while cranking they say. I can not test for one because my car is torn apart right now.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
Under the dash wiring has all been cut out or just the wiring under the hood?
the harness for the computer that came through the fire wall on the passenger for the computer is in a box next to my car. I put on a holley and a msd ignition set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor