Switched 12v

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
the harness for the computer that came through the fire wall on the passenger for the computer is in a box next to my car. I put on a holley and a msd ignition set up

So if all the ECM wiring under the dash is still intact, then you have a 12v source at the connector that formally plugged into the ECM. Just run a wire from that connector out through the hole in the firewall.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
So if all the ECM wiring under the dash is still intact, then you have a 12v source at the connector that formally plugged into the ECM. Just run a wire from that connector out through the hole in the firewall.
not quite sure what wires you are referring to but there are no wires where the ecm used to be anymore
IMG_20180304_000337.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I know this is a bit of a hyjac, and I am sorry. Does anyone know where I can tap into for a keied power that is off while starting? My knock gauge needs to be off while cranking they say. I can not test for one because my car is torn apart right now.
84 mentioned he had a kit that ran off from the alternator - which will work well also.

Zach,
You should be able to steal it from the radio, seats, heater, rear window defroster, etc. Basically anything that goes dead when cranking.

565 and 454 - I understand the system you guys are employing. And it will work great, but the point I was trying to make (and I should've been clearer) is that you want the pump to shut off when the motor is off in case of an accident and to save the pump from running of the key is on and the engine is off. I attempt to make all of these systems as idiot proof as possible so that my wife could hop in and move it or drive it in an emergency. Of course I'm sure that she could never manipulate the ratchet shifter lol.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
565 and 454 - I understand the system you guys are employing. And it will work great, but the point I was trying to make (and I should've been clearer) is that you want the pump to shut off when the motor is off in case of an accident and to save the pump from running of the key is on and the engine is off.
Wiring in an oil pressure switch works in a similar manner but kills power to the pump when there is no oil pressure, what will kill power to the distributor when something happens?
xelecpump03.jpg.pagespeed.ic.vHBHzN-VaO.jpg

One wire goes to the pump, one to the start circuit, and the other to the ignition circuit. So, when there is no oil pressure, the switch connects START to PUMP, and as soon as you start cranking it runs the pump. When the oil pressure comes up, the switch connects IGN to PUMP, for normal running. When oil pressure goes away it again connects START to PUMP, and disconnects IGN from PUMP, so the pump shuts off.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I know this is a bit of a hyjac, and I am sorry. Does anyone know where I can tap into for a keied power that is off while starting? My knock gauge needs to be off while cranking they say. I can not test for one because my car is torn apart right now.
Brown at the ignition switch is accessory that drops out on start.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
not quite sure what wires you are referring to but there are no wires where the ecm used to be anymore View attachment 83891

You need to find #29. Find the pin that's got the 12v ( pin C I think ) and run a wire from that pin out the rubber grommet you show in your pic.

Note, one of those pins is also a ground which needs to be grounded ( pin A or U I think ).

Attachments

• IMG_20180304_093121540.jpg
    IMG_20180304_093121540.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 223

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
That is what I recall doing in my car at least. Use it to power both my electric fuel pump relay and electric choke. Also running wire from pin P for converter lockup.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
That way seems like alot more work. I wires from ign on the fuse box to a toggle switch then connect that to the relay. That way I have full control by either key on or toggle switch on. I like it better

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
That is what I recall doing in my car at least. Use it to power both my electric fuel pump relay and electric choke. Also running wire from pin P for converter lockup.
where is pin P I need to wire my converter lock up next

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor