T Type or clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWB4769

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2009
Florida
I found a GN clone that I am going to look at tomorrow. The guy says its an 85 regal, he's not sure if it's a Type or a regular regal with a 3.8 turbo motor put in it. How do I tell is it's a real T type or not? Also the car looks very clean in the pics, he say the only problem with it is that anymore than 7 psi of boost it starts blowing white smoke out the tailpipe. Does this sound like a head gasket or something more serious. I'm not looking for a GN or T type to have a numbers matching car, I don't care if it's a clone. I just love the idea of a full sized RWD car with a turbo. Any idea what something like this is worth. Thanks.

IrvJr

Apprentice
Jan 24, 2009
Orlando
Find someone close to you with turbo buick experience and have them look at it. Check the trunk codes. WE2 is a GN, WO4, WE4 and WH1 are some of the T Type codes.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Sounds like a blown head gasket. I'd stay away. It sounds like the owner has no F-ING clue about Turbo Buicks & thus has wrecked this one.

If it has a popped head gasket this proves the owner is an idiot and either had the boost cranked way too high for the fuel he was using or he was just plain stupid & ran 87 octane. Either way, head gaskets don't just fail on their own. This engine has seen abuse & detonation.

BTW........ The 8th digit in the VIN should be a "9" if it's a true 1985 Turbo Buick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor