Tail Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
if you're lucky, but that's putting lipstick on a pig, essentially.
Pig+Kiss.jpg

First mcribs, now this?

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Not only are the lenses shot but the chrome bezels are pitted….junk. I produce these types of parts for a living and painting them with a transparent red and then applying a clear coat would not be the OE’s method of refurbishing. Buyer beware…. I wish it weren’t true but the Arizona heat destroyed those lenses.

Last edited:

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Was truly just trying to help a member out as I have not been able to find a pair of taillight lenses for the Cutty for a bit. No harm no foul. Thanks for your input.
I didn’t realize the supply is drying up. Look at the prices on eBay 😮. The middle one that has a darker tint looks like a polished turd. The color is too dark. The item description says that it’s unrestored…..I call BS.

1637676439638.jpeg

1637676683424.jpeg

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I didn’t realize the supply is drying up. Look at the prices on eBay 😮. The middle one that has a darker tint looks like a polished turd. The color is too dark. The item description says that it’s unrestored…..I call BS.

View attachment 187544
View attachment 187545
I find ebay these days to be less about supply dry-up and more about inner city types without access to parts cars.

The old adage, fool and money..

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
Have been going to W TX, AZ and NM pick a parts for over twenty years. Never saw much in terms of later ('83 - '87) G bodies. Just about all were likely intercepted to become circle track racers. That are now dead and buried. An occasional earlier ('78 - '82) beat up four door or wagon. Those were the higher production years. That's what you will find. There was a flurry of El Caminos for a while, as those were popular for a time, but they have dried up as well.
Would think that there would be a market, for new reproduction lense assemblies for these cars. A lense has a limited lifespan, if exposed everyday to the greater heat, ozone, and sunlight of the southwest.

Last edited:

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I gave 150.00 plus shipping for my set of mint ones with no checking and good chrome last fall.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Holy schnikes!

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Hmmm. Wondering what NOS sets would go for???

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Holy schnikes!

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Hmmm. Wondering what NOS sets would go for???
$500 each….maybe more? Once you sell them they’re gone forever. Typically injection mold tooling cost for lenses is high due to the optics. Probably the reason why the aftermarket is not re-popping these.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
$500 each….maybe more? Once you sell them they’re gone forever. Typically injection mold tooling cost for lenses is high due to the optics. Probably the reason why the aftermarket is not re-popping these.
I won't sell them until I'm confident I won't ever need them. I have several, so it's not a huge deal yet. Once I do sell them, it probably won't be long until I'm gone forever as well. :)

Keeping them garaged and out of the sun as best you can keeps them in good shape though. I do wonder why some get darker, and some just craze the way they do.

I think these lenses aren't repopped, and the backup lamps, are just due to complexity and curves of the lamps/housings. They repop the side marker lamps, and the front bumper turn signals. They could probably do it, but likely not cost efficiently. At least not yet.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My guess is 3d printing is more viable than the injection molding for repops these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor