Tax law or what?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
LOL - I just paid over $60 US in shipping, duty, and taxes on a $308 US part.

What is next: your "high" gas prices or "high" income tax or "high" other random commodities? You aren't entitled to sh*t other than water, air, not being regularly beaten/murdered, and an opportunity to un**** your life. Go to a third world country and gain some perspective if you feel you have it so bad.

I have zero sympathy for anyone here - except the European members who get slammed even worse.

Yeah, I am in a mood - wannafightabout?! ;)

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yeah, I'm in a mood too. I'm renovating a crappy bathroom instead of dissecting my new transmission. So, did my Summit taxes go to NY or Ohio state? Because at tax time NY wants more internet tax from me based on my income- not what I spent. I'm OK with paying NY tax to a NY business, but why out of state? If I drive to PA and buy a lot of beer and pay tax will I need to stop at the border and pay NY the tax on it too? EDIT: And now to top it all off, Scummit just cancelled my order! Part discontinued. Terrific.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Depending on the potential tax bill and shipping fees...

What we need to do is find members in states without sales tax and ship our items to them, then have them ship the item to us. I'm surprised that someone hasn't started a business shipping items second hand. Some places already do this with cars.

An expensive smaller item may be worth having shipped to New Hampshire (or another state) first, then having it shipped to your house.

What we need to do is make this a big issue for law makers and flat out tell them, if they don't change the law, we won't vote for them.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
LOL - I just paid over $60 US in shipping, duty, and taxes on a $308 US part.

What is next: your "high" gas prices or "high" income tax or "high" other random commodities? You aren't entitled to sh*t other than water, air, not being regularly beaten/murdered, and an opportunity to un**** your life. Go to a third world country and gain some perspective if you feel you have it so bad.

I have zero sympathy for anyone here - except the European members who get slammed even worse.

Yeah, I am in a mood - wannafightabout?! ;)
I wouldn't expect a half-french subject of the crown to understand.:sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Yeah, I'm in a mood too. I'm renovating a crappy bathroom instead of dissecting my new transmission. So, did my Summit taxes go to NY or Ohio state? Because at tax time NY wants more internet tax from me based on my income- not what I spent. I'm OK with paying NY tax to a NY business, but why out of state? If I drive to PA and buy a lot of beer and pay tax will I need to stop at the border and pay NY the tax on it too? EDIT: And now to top it all off, Scummit just cancelled my order! Part discontinued. Terrific.
The way I understand it, Summit is collecting your NY tax at the point of purchase and forwarding it to your state. All online sellers (businesses) are supposed to do the same. It sucks.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Learn to play the game guys! Knowone likes taxes but taxes an death are certain.

Ex: Coffee shop here charges tax on any order over $5, so make your order into 2 orders. There is a place in NY that you can ship your orders to an then they ship to you at no duty cost.

There are loop holes to everything, find it an use it against taxes. Where there is a will there is a way.

Years ago l figured it out for car parts, drive across to USA install and drive back, Tires, gas an so on.

There are enough people on this forum for shipping to tax free states an re-ship it if it's cost effective.

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
The requirement of identification for cash deposits to bank accounts was selectively enforced at first, by forcing it across the big banks first.

The requirement of taxation across states is selectively enforced currently, by forcing it across the big retailers first.

History. It tends to repeat.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So just for laughs I ran a phony order through Amazon for a 3;23 ring and pinion set. NO TAX. I am not complaining and I certainly won't ask them why. But now they are not collecting tax after collecting it for years. While everyone else is collecting it after not doing so. Could it be optional and Amazon sees this as a marketing ploy to out-do the competition?

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
That's my whole point. Either it is a law or it isn't. And if not, why would companies be charging tax out-of-state? I know in NY that our convicted fellon ex-governor Spitzer strong-armed through the law that said if you have even one physical entity in NY then you must charge tax from NY'ers. Maybe part of the tax break deal to get Amazon to build in NYC included sales tax from NY'ers?
Your representative from the 14 th district already took care of that problem for you took .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor