HELP TCC standalone controller (I'm designing) for 200-4R or 700-R4

Once it gets working... Next I'm curious to see if possible to do the same with 4L80E and then 6L80E.

I have a 4L80E to go behind the 327 in the Caprice, but quite honestly kinda lost vim and vigar on the 4L80. Plan was to wire it as a manual shift with a Lokar or similar unit as a shifter. If it had a method to act like regular automatic and not cost $800+, then manual shift only when desired. That would be nice

That Holley/B&M TCC Controler kit... probably $75 max, in parts, if that, and lQQk at that markup. :puke:

78Delta88... figure if you wanted to treat the 4L80E like a manual transmission w/o the use of a controller, i'd say its possible if you're feeling gutsy. 😀

Yep saw what some are doing. I was thinking Lokar with micro switches or similar.

What would be nice is automatic operation but can go manual similar to a regular stick shift, just no need to clutch.

Something like this. Mount micro switches in and around base plate but looks like manual shift, just no clutch peddle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-09-22-18-02-01-424.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-22-18-02-01-424.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2024-09-22-18-00-53-204.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-22-18-00-53-204.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 5
Neat stuff for sure, but the DRAWBACK being.... without a controller, the transmission will be under constant line pressure(high), that has to be PWM controlled.

That is one of the drawbacks. There is a way to oscillate the line pressure, but not good. Especially if shifting with full pressure on. Wears stuff out and can break stuff.

I've seen race units were TV cable deleted, line pressure on full at all times. Maybe fine for 1/8 and 1/4 mile runs, and you will do complete teardown after specified number of runs, but not so good for street.

I really wouldnt mind using the transmission stand alone contoller for advanced OEM like operation, but to justify the price on that part alone, nope.

Much cheaper to keep her(700R4), than to go through a divorce switching to an 4L60E and the added accesories(expense) that comes along with it, liking that to a new wife.

Reactions: 78Delta88
Sounds like a standalone modern trans controller design that doesn't break the bank is needed for the 4LxxE crowd. One that PWMs the line pressure solenoid based on engine load (RPM/vacuum/TPS?) and speed.
Maybe I should start that project too...

Sounds like a standalone modern trans controller design that doesn't break the bank is needed for the 4LxxE crowd. One that PWMs the line pressure solenoid based on engine load (RPM/vacuum/TPS?) and speed.
Maybe I should start that project too...

I have a core 4l80 on the shelf for the someday project but looks less interesting everyday when adding up the costs to rebuild it, buy a controller and tps. Dont drive the car all that much anymore.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor