Teans cooler help

Status
Not open for further replies.

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
I need help figuring out what size trans cooler I need for a th350. I just got ahold of a aluminum radiator but it does not have a built in trans cooler what size cooler would work? Its going to be mostly street driven. it does have a b&m 2400 Hole shot converter in it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387815514081.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387815514081.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 546

thrasher

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
I don't know if you're going to find the perfect answer to what you're looking for. Just people telling you what they run.
If you had a temp gauge for your trans it would better help tell you what you needed.

I've run that converter in my daily driver car for the last two years.
TH350 trans with a 3.08 rear gear and 26 tall tires.

My cooler is 15 to 5 1/2 inches long and the line passes through it four times.
I've had the lines hooked up to just the cooler but I'm thinking of running the return line from the cooler to the radiator to keep heat in the trans during the winter.

You might want to take that radiator to a shop and have them flush it cause that rust coloring don't look so good.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
You might not like reading this. Liquid cools wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than air so it is common to run the trans fluid in series, through the radiator (wet) then to an external cooler. A manual trans radiator is not recommended for your application and that converter will make it run even hotter than normal.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
You don't need a very big one. With a big stall the fluid heats up a lot, so choose accordingly. And make sure you mount it in a location with lots of air flow.

Two styles of cooler.
1) Stacked Plate (more efficient, more expensive).
2) Tube and fin. (not as efficient, but OK for street Duty. WAAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper).

I ran a Tube and Fin on a street car with 1800 stall rated torque converter (about 15x6), and it did fine. On my other car, im using a stacked plate (about 12x12), but the trans did get hot a few times with the 3500 stall rated converter. Im going to add an air damn to cure the problem, or failing that a fan on the trans cooler.

The downside to running a trans cooler in the rad is that the trans will never be cooler than your engine. Your engine gets pretty hot sometimes.

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
Yeah, I'm going to flush that radiator. It came out of my uncle tube chassis s10. All it ever seen was water so I expected it to be a little rusty. I was just a little worried that if I buy something that it was not going to be as good as the stock radiator and burn up my trans

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
LS1GN said:
You might not like reading this. Liquid cools wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than air so it is common to run the trans fluid in series, through the radiator (wet) then to an external cooler

One reason the transmission rad is housed in the radiator is so the transmission fluid gets up to temp quicker and maintains it temp. Transmission fluid is useless if it's not hot enough and will damage the transmission

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
since the temp should be the same or slightly than the coolant temp in your rad so at least 180º to 200º

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor