Teans cooler help

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I dont mean to hijack this thread but what is more important to cooling efficiency when it comes to the length and width vs the thickness of the cooler? I pulled a real thick cooler off of an F350 work van but also have a thinner one about the same size. Im torn between the two...any advice?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The more material making up the rad the larger the area for the heat transfer to the air so in theory both rads should cool the same but with the larger rad more cool fluid to return to the engine

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
in our circle track cars we use the largest rad possible so the only time the cooling fan gets turned on is during caution laps. During a caution the cars do not travel fast enough for adequate cooling. A spinning fan adds resistance and at high speeds can hinder the cooling with virtually putting a wall behind the rad slowing the air flow down.

thrasher

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
pontiacgp,
I take it you agree with this routing?
LS1GN said:
it is common to run the trans fluid in series, through the radiator (wet) then to an external cooler.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
thrasher said:
pontiacgp,
LS1GN said:
it is common to run the trans fluid in series, through the radiator (wet) then to an external cooler.

that's the way the instructions read with an external cooler

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I run the cooler separate from the engine radiator. It still warms up plenty that way but makes sure if the engine runs hot for any reason it's not going to heat the trans fluid up any.

I also know they say you don't want the trans fluid too cool but my truck runs anywhere from 88-110*F in the winter and it's all factory. GM must not be concerned about it.

thrasher

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
pontiacgp said:
thrasher said:
pontiacgp,
LS1GN said:

that's the way the instructions read with an external cooler

I threw the box away many years ago. I've had it flushed a few times, might be time for a new one.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would think the instructions tell you to use the return side of the rad transmission cooler cause the pressure in the line coming from the transmission can get up to around 100 psi and that could blow a fitting or a rubber hose. Coming out of the rad the pressure is much less

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor