Tell me about this Quadrajet

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
my question is regarding the idle mixture plugs

They are removed on my carb. But it seems to have a square looking screw

I don’t have any tool that will fit them. Can someone tell me if there is a mixture adjusting screw I can install that will work with a simple screw driver or direct me to a tool so I can adjust my current setup

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
my question is regarding the idle mixture plugs

They are removed on my carb. But it seems to have a square looking screw

I don’t have any tool that will fit them. Can someone tell me if there is a mixture adjusting screw I can install that will work with a simple screw driver or direct me to a tool so I can adjust my current setup
Google search turns up a bunch of them. You can just take an old screwdriver, hacksaw the tip off, then hacksaw/file a slot in the middle of the rod that's the right size. I think there's one in my toolbox (I've acquired a bunch of random things over the years) that's homemade, never knew what it was for but didn't throw it out.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
They require a special double D driver, many online carb stores sell flex shaft versions that come with several driver bits.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
And if you really want to get carried away, I've built a couple well performing Q-jets following cliff ruggles book. Lots, and lots, and lots of good info in there, no matter how you want to use your Q-jet.

Quadrajets FTW. Go Ahead, flame away, you can't hurt me.

Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
a special double D driver
Having the right tool is best, but the secondary rod hanger fits that double D perfectly. Also the Q-jets I have seen on the late 80's Chevy trucks had an enrichment solenoid that looks just like the CCC solenoid. It had no CCC but used a temperature sender to operate it. Not knowing the part number I would have guessed it was a 1980 Q-jet. That year was the first for the electric choke and had no solenoids.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
CCC or C3 as previously stated... I still call it C3, plus easier to type.

Yours is 80s unleaded fuel. Probably have "fat lady legs" secondary rods. Its non C3, has the torx screws so you know early 80s. Short filter passenger side inlet very common on truck and car 305, but most 80s truck 350 and police fleet had the long filter center inlet style.

Bottom line is its rebuildable, jets are replaceable as are secondary rods. Get a new float when you get the rebuild kit. Idle screws about 2 1/4 out as starting point, then adjust from there.

The idle caps were not cut at the proper place so not done by a dealership tech, but we're cut first then knocked out which is the correct method. The sealing surfaced is not marred, so was done ok.

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
nice score it looks in good shape .everyone chiseled out the caps on the mixture screws .I did a lot of tuneups back in the day they always adjusted them to rich instead of fixing the problem

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor