Temp gauge sender, better in the head or intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
a few friends and i (yes i have some!) were taking about this same subject a few months ago.it was split almost down the middle.i put both in the heads because that's where they were originally and it keeps the top of the intake much cleaner looking.

Reactions: 3 users

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
factory temp gauge sender in my 81 malibu was in the stock position (in the head). i made a note of where the temp. was for years. installed a well known mechanical gauge and swapped it into the head and the factory set up was installed in the intake manifold. there was no difference in the readings for each gauge. i watch temps. pretty close all the time. mechanical gauge and factory temp gauge read the same in either position. i have heard that the head position was hotter than the intake position. did not read that way in my application, go figure.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The head may read a couple degrees warmer in coolant but much hotter on the surface than near the thermostat. My understanding is that it's just a more stable location at the head. Reading next to the thermostat might see more fluctuation on the gauge. Given the overall health of your cooling system, YMMV.

Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I would put in intake as I feel that is the hottest area. Right at the t-stat. last place the coolant is before it goes into the radiator

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor