temp guage not registering

Status
Not open for further replies.

jphillips

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2014
Church Hill, MD
Okay here is the deal. My 78 elco had a long speedo .I swapped it for for round ones. Reconfigured the plug. The temp guage still doesn't work. And it has a new sender for a guage. Do these guages go bad? or a defective sender? Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks, Jason

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
So the cluster you pulled it to replace the speedo ? Did temp gauge work before ? Did you put same sending type unit in when you replaced it. 2 different styles of sending units.
Check back of cluster there is nut for the temp gauge, they sometimes become loose. Also the plug on back of cluster, follow the cluster web from the temp gauge an see if plug lines up.

86MCSS86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2014
Gauges do go bad. I believe you need a different sender. You need one for the gauge not the "idiot" light. If you do have the correct sender easy way to test if it's the gauge or the sender is to unplug the sender wire and ground it. I think it should go to the highest reading. If it goes to the highest reading it could be the sender.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you ground the wire for the gauge the gauge should go to the end of the scale....all a temp gauge is is an ohm reader

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor