Temp Sensor Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I am trying to buy temperature sensors for my car, but I never actually had them before. The previous owner just left the gauge leads hanging, after tapping the wires to ground and soldering my printed circuit, I got my leads for the Oil Pressure gauge, oil pressure light, temp gauge, and temp light all working. I would like to have both the idiot lights and the gauges functional. I called the autoparts store today and they said they offer both a 2 terminal and single terminal oil pressure and temp sensors. I remember in the past most cars with gauges had 2 leads and most with idiot lights had one. But I only have one wire coming leading to each gauge and light. So am I right in guessing I just need the single post senders and buy one for the light and one for the gauge? Also I need the temp sensor for the comp that ones seems to be a 2 pin.

clsmith1424

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2010
what color is the temp. gauge wire? i bought my 83 with the temp sender disconected and cant seem to find the right wire to hook it back up.
and i can tell you that the oil gauge sender is a one wire.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
Almostt positive but Ill check 2moro I think the wire is green. If you can make your self a test lead, just cut a piece of wire in half and get your self a 5 amp fuse wrap the wire around each of the fuse terminals hook one end of your test lead to a good ground and then hook the other end to the green wire coming from the car. Turn the ignition to the run position and depending on what you have, the Temp light should go on or the gauge will peg its self to the right. If you grab an electric choke lead or something that puts out positive voltage by accident the fuse will pop and you wont damage anything. That's how I found all of my wires. If you have any trouble let me know Ill try and see if its a different color code on your car, not to mention my car has the most spliced up engine harness I've ever seen so it may not have been green from the factory. But typically most GM's are brown or black for the Oil pressure and green for temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor