Terrible experience at Earl Scheib. BEWARE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have seen good results from cheap jobs, but only if the prep work is done beforehand by the owner, and is just shot by the cheapie place. I myself, will spend 40-50 hours in prep time on a quickie paint job of a beater car or truck I am not too concerned about, and hundreds of hours on prepping ones I try to make perfect. I spent almost $750 on paint materials alone for my Cutlass, how much do you think they spend to paint a car for $200, and how much labor do you get with what is left over? Not too much.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
I use to work at a cheap body shop here we did 300 dollar paint jobs.We didn't even sand the car used a green scrub pad to rough up the paint on the car and painted over it.The paint was at the time 8 dollars a gallon at napa came in 8 colors we mixed it to we got the color we needed.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
I got my Buick sprayed at Earl Schieb. They even included their signature "orange peel" finish at no extra charge!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Geesie said:
I got my Buick sprayed at Earl Schieb. They even included their signature "orange peel" finish at no extra charge!

Yeah, that's a great deal. Most shops charge extra for that! :lol:

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
florence Marco said:
Hello to all the ones replying to my comment about earl scheib, I did not pay the chip usual price, that is why I am upset, I paid a lot of money for sanding and a cover up they told me that lasts for life???? and got a mess at the end. I called the headquarters and they never returned my call...

Dude!?!? Why are there 3 different threads. If you want to retort on the same subject. Use reply. I don't think it's a secret to ANYONE with slight automotive knowledge that better paint jobs come out a few rattle cans done in an open field versus Earl "I'll paint any car for $99.99" Scheib. This maybe news to you but the meat in a McDonald's burger isn't exactly prime either.

BILL DEMMER

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2008
back in the '80's, when there still was an earl scheib in the area, my friends and i would use the saying, "that looks like an earl scheib job-did they use a roller?" to describe a really bad paint job.

didn't even know/care if they were still around. :eek:

do they still use that $99.99 line?

bill

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Earl Shieb, didn'tknow they were still in business. Here in Chi they had the $39.99 (then $59.99, $79.99) specials. They even advertised "In by 9, Out by 5". Around here you were considered golden if they taped-off the glass, chrome trim, wheels/tires and exhaust completely before they painted. If you got your car back without overspray on those areas you were the luckiest guy in the state, usually you got the extra paint for free.

Those paint specials just painted the outside of the car - no door jambs, under hood / deck panel or anything. So you better had picked the same exterior color. Body work, yeah right. If the car had rust or the paint was bubbling and you didn't fix it before, oh well. Most people here went to E.S. to get a quick spray if they were going to sell the car right away, like the day after they painted it.

As stated, you get what you pay for.

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
I had a bad experience at ES. When I moved to Vegas there was one beside my office and I needed to have some work done on my Mercury. Well I went back looked at the shop, talked to the owner (who gave me all the answers I wanted to hear) so I figured they were a good bet. Price was reasonable (not dirt cheap ... but in the ballpark I figured the job would take to do right). So I did it, job was like about 70% what I wanted. I mean to the normal person it looks fine, but anyone that knows cars spots it quick. I learned the hard way I guess. :roll: Now it's going to cost me about 30% more than what I originally paid to get it fixed right. But I'm not even sure if its worth it at this point.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Macco screwed my dad over in 89 when he had his 60 plymouth done. He payed $4500 in 89 ofr paint and body work. They were supposed to remove the rust and weld in patch panels instead they welded over it, they THREW OUT the correct paint he GAVE THEM and they painted it with 89 Ford bc/cc, also, the paint is f-ed up. The only reason it's lasted 20 years is because it's garage kept and maintained better than some peoples kids.
The big thing with maaco is, they are independantly operated, so check out the work at THE SHOP YOU ARE USING and make you're judgment on that.

Also, earl sheibb, "I'll paint any car for $29.95". Sometimes they didn't even mask the windows. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor