Terrible experience at Earl Scheib. BEWARE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
i have a friend who worked for earl in hawaii, and the inside "joke" over there was that they'd paint the whole car, including the windshield. pretty shoddy guys, they were.
you could always spot an earl job, if there was paint on chrome, glass, or rubber.

maximus84

Master Mechanic
Aug 8, 2008
Fidalgo Island,Washington
Out of curiousity,I took the 84 Elky to MAACO.I have mismatched doors that I swapped over from an 87,deep scratches on the pass. side,a tailgate I just got in another color.Its a 2-tone Conquista.I didnt ask about there top level job,just the one directly below that.The roof area is good,& I will be Line-X'ing the bed. They gave a price of $849.90 for paint, $20.00 materials/supply, $80.00 body labor, $22.00 sublet(?), $83.58 tax = $1055.48. They said I could take the moulding off for a better paint job,cuz they just tape over it,& he kept insisting I should go solid color,not 2-tone. I went to a 'real' body shop the next day,& I know they do good work because I've seen it, A paint job with no wet-sanding to get possible orange peel out,& real 2-stage paint that I'm sure would be thicker,& 2-tone paint everywhere but the roof,would be around $1500

vm1971

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2007
cherry hill, NJ
that sucks

yes... last year ... on my world tour of finding someone to do my bodywork and paint, JUST for giggles i went to an earl scheib in Philly.

what a mess. hahhaha... and.... $800!!!

needless to say i just had my 84 monte painted [and bodywork] by a real cool local guy near me, who also has montes of his own. its amazing. and with the new emblems, grille, bezels, im well on my way.

for any of you [possibly] in south jersey, his name is Ron at INTERGRITY COLLISION. hit me up for more info. he's great!

ill FINALLLLY be puttin some pics up soon.... theres a few small things im doing... ya know how it is.

Vince

maximus84

Master Mechanic
Aug 8, 2008
Fidalgo Island,Washington
Re: that sucks

vm1971 said:
yes... last year ... on my world tour of finding someone to do my bodywork and paint, JUST for giggles i went to an earl scheib in Philly.

needless to say i just had my 84 monte painted [and bodywork] by a real cool local guy near me, who also has montes of his own. its amazing. and with the new emblems, grille, bezels, im well on my way.

for any of you [possibly] in south jersey, his name is Ron at INTERGRITY COLLISION. hit me up for more info. he's great!

ill FINALLLLY be puttin some pics up soon.... theres a few small things im doing... ya know how it is.

Vince
How much more did you spend 4 a real paint job?

vm1971

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2007
cherry hill, NJ
Re: that sucks

maximus84 said:
vm1971 said:

Vince
How much more did you spend 4 a real paint job?

my ranges were vast. i got estimates from $800 [ a joke ] to $6000 [show quality]. my guy did it for $3100 and i will tell you what... its amazing. its more his thing ... other than just a bodyshop that will also dabble in older cars. after learning so much in this forum and having knowledgeable pals, i think he really aced it. again, i'll put pics up soon. well worth the money [for anyone at any price range, even "high"] to get it done RIGHT. :)

V

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor