Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Indifferent
Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I think maybe we need a pep rally for you slackers! Jk you're not a slacker like that Mrsony guy you just never are done, but you do awesome work.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The suspense is killing me.
I wish I had done a better job of getting out in front of getting the tune squared away. Still, I enjoyed not being under the truck yesterday. I just hope there are no unpleasant surprises. I'm looking forward to having it back.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I think maybe we need a pep rally for you slackers! Jk you're not a slacker like that Mrsony guy you just never are done, but you do awesome work.
I know man. I'm slow. At everything. The OCD doesn't help.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Finally! Some progress to report!

I got the tune files yesterday, around lunch time. It had been about 21 days since my initial request. It's never taken this long but I've met this fellow in person and he strikes me as a really good guy. He must just be busy. He started his email thanking me for my patience (honestly, I was about out of it). Also, he refused to charge me for the revision to the tune. I would have gladly paid for expedited service but at this point, I'm just glad to have the files.

I worked late last night but when I got home, I got everything backed up and loaded on the handheld. The tuner expressed some concern that the TCM wouldn't like the 4L80E file and that we may have to install it via an alternate route or I might even have to send him my TCM. I wanted to find out as soon as possible, so this morning I went over to the storage to flash the new files (one for the ECM and one for the TCM) over to the truck. I was able to do so with no difficulty. What a relief.

Next, I checked the transmission fluid level. I had a gallon in it. It looked like it wasn't reading so I put two more quarts in it and cranked it up. It started right up. I let it run about 10 seconds and cut it off. I poured two more quarts in it and cranked it back up. I let it run while I poured two more in it. At this point the headers were smoking pretty good so I cut it off just to be super careful and check everything. I had bought four gallons of Dexron VI and two quarts. I expected it to take around 17 quarts with the deeper pan and the larger transmission cooler. The gallons are difficult to work with, especially with the funnel I had at the storage so I was working the fluid into the quart bottles, two quarts at a time and then pouring from them. By the time I was done, I had 15 quarts in it and it was fully up to temperature. I had shifted it to reverse and drive a few times. Both gears engage normally. I let the rear wheels turn a little with my foot on the brake (truck is still on stands). With all the fluid on the walls of the dipstick/fill tube, I was having trouble getting a consistent reading on the stick so I stopped there. I don't want to overfill it.

I cut it off and left the stick out of it. Tonight, I will crank it up and let it get up to temp and then should be able to get a good reading at where I'm at. My plan is to get the level topped up, get it down off the stands and torque the front wheels. Then I'll drive it around the storage property to see how its doing. If that all goes well, I'll take it out on the road and potentially log some data. If all goes really well, I might be driving it to work tomorrow. We'll see.

When I left the storage it was cooling down and the floor was still dry, so so-far, so good on that front. The engine seemed to be idling really smooth. I think the new motor mounts are going to be a big improvement. I think that driver's side motor mount was bad for a long time.

It was a good morning. No warning lights. No bad sounds. No leaks (so far). It goes into to drive and reverse. I couldn't have asked for the morning to go better. That's it for now. Hopefully I have a good update at lunchtime tomorrow. Until then, thanks for the feedback and for following along.

Best,

Jared

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well friends, last night didn't go the way I wanted it to. It's not that bad though. I rolled up the door and the first thing I did was look under the truck. I was greeted with an unwelcome site. I had a transmission fluid leak....

20190522_190248-2016x1134.jpg

That was after about 10 hours. I put on my coveralls and got under the truck. I liked what I saw even less than the spot on the floor....

20190522_190319-2016x1134.jpg

20190522_190728-2016x1134.jpg

So it's leaking through the case connector of the transmission's internal wiring harness. This sucks. My buddy at the transmission parts house helped me source a replacement harness earlier today. Last night I ordered the tool to get the harness connector to push into the case....

toolst9138.jpg

Scott advised that I didn't really need it, but at this point I want to make this as easy as possible. Saturday I'll go over and drain the unit, pull the exhaust, pull the pan and swap the harness. Hopefully I can get back to where I was (virtually ready for the first test drive) by the end of the day. If that works out, the first test drive might be Saturday night or Sunday. I'm pretty poochy-lipped about this but in the big picture, if this is the worst problem I have with this project, I'll take it. That's it for now gents. I'll update when there is progress.

Best,

Jared

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That sucks. I thought they just had an o-ring on them?
It does have an o-ring around the connector. It isn't leaking there. It's actually leaking internally in the connector, where the wires connect to the pins. Just one of those deals.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor